+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles..the worst thing to happen to music?

The Beatles..the worst thing to happen to music?

I can't describe how much I HATE the goddamn Beatles. HATE, hate those guys; not even a bit of respect for them. It's not so much how they suck and received undue critical acclaim so much as stupid children my age wear their shirts, buy The Beatles Rock Band yet can't describe a goddamn thing about what supposedly makes them the greatest band of all time.

Their lyrics are below sophomoric, Lennon was a mega pretentious twat the likes of which makes Bono look modest and yet even he's a better singer and writer than "Imagine no possessions while I wear fur coats and buy cars; ooh, don't forget to buy the latest Beatles cash cow, Beatles oxygen" Lennon.

The following are better in every regard than the Beatles:

Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

The Smiths

Smashing Pumpkins

U2

Talking Heads

Springsteen & the E Street Band

That's just a cursory listing. Notice one recurring theme; these artists VARIED. They tried new things, explored other themes and didn't write childish rhymes about pot-induced walruses, war protests and peace, love, and communism hippie shit.

Nice try.

Lol, but I REALLY, really hate those wankers.

lol~!!

i do enjoy Beatles's music.
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

Even tho you think they suck, the reason why they are so critically acclaimed is because they were the most innovative band for their time. They were the first to experiment with different sounds, using things like speech and music played backwards etc. That is one of the reasons they stopped touring because they couldn't reproduce those sounds on stage like they produced in the studio, as the technology hadn't caught up yet. It was pretty much not until the early 80's when they came out with midi to record sounds onto a sampler board, which could be played back during a performance. During the 60's bands such as Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa took those techniques and utilized in their own way to get that over the top fringe music. Basically the Beatles were the launching pad for many future bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Love'sReject View Post
    They tried new things, explored other themes and didn't write childish rhymes about pot-induced walruses, war protests and peace, love, and communism hippie shit.
    They did explore other themes, but you have to remember it was of the times. U2 itself is hugely political, and they have written songs about what was happening for their time. Man you just have no clue. You are comparing a band that was together for 6 years vs U2 that has been together for over 2 decades.

Yeah, but The Beatles were way too general and naive; writing a buncha hippie crap doesn't raise awareness or get the world any closer to peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Darkshire View Post
    Even tho you think they suck, the reason why they are so critically acclaimed is because they were the most innovative band for their time. They were the first to experiment with different sounds, using things like speech and music played backwards etc. That is one of the reasons they stopped touring because they couldn't reproduce those sounds on stage like they produced in the studio, as the technology hadn't caught up yet. It was pretty much not until the early 80's when they came out with midi to record sounds onto a sampler board, which could be played back during a performance. During the 60's bands such as Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa took those techniques and utilized in their own way to get that over the top fringe music. Basically the Beatles were the launching pad for many future bands.
    That's the best reasoning I've read so far on what made The Beatles the Beatles..but that just makes them technically great whereas aesthetically they're still lacking.

There is so much symbolism and hidden meaning in their writing it's way over your naive head.

Or are you just conditioned to believe there's more depth to their lyrics than there really is? o.0 *dun dun dun*

OK lets use the Yellow Submarine. It seems like a sing along song for children, simple and quite silly. It's actually a song about how their lives have dramatically changed since becoming famous. On tour they are isolated, shuttled from airport to hotel room, surrounded by police and security, fans pounding at the windows of their limo (under pressure). They have to be isolated in their hotel room and the only way that can see outside is though a window....it's like living on a submarine. Some point out that the "sea of green" represents money.

What band that really licks balls is Nickelback. Bubble gum rock at it's best.

Octopus's garden is simply brilliant. I heard it is about losing one's virginity.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    OK lets use the Yellow Submarine. It seems like a sing along song for children, simple and quite silly. It's actually a song about how their lives have dramatically changed since becoming famous. On tour they are isolated, shuttled from airport to hotel room, surrounded by police and security, fans pounding at the windows of their limo (under pressure). They have to be isolated in their hotel room and the only way that can see outside is though a window....it's like living on a submarine. Some point out that the "sea of green" represents money.

What band that really licks balls is Nickelback. Bubble gum rock at it's best.
    Nickelback does suck...but they have more songs I like than those of the Beatles (in fact, I don't even like those Nickelback tracks but if I was in a car on a long drive and the radio stations were only playing Nickelback or the Beatles, I'd go with Nickelback and hope to God it ends soon).

I didn't realize having money could. I guess those Darfurians must be living exemplary lives without it. Fame is worse than living an anonymous, meaningless life, indeed!

*although in all honesty, I had no idea Yellow Submarine had any meaning

I would rather poke my eye out with a fork (even tho I know the drummer and I like him )...I saw them before they were even famous...Chad is a doofus.....the guy drives a champagne color Lambo, how gay is that.
    Last edited by smackie9; 19-11-12 at 08:24 AM.

How is driving one of those gay short of having it colored pink?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast