+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Past Foreign Relations

Past Foreign Relations

I've been thinking about taking a vacation to France some time soon. Don't have anyone to go with (or anyone I know that I would want to go with, at least), but here's the thing: When I was 16 I went on a foreign exchange trip, and stayed with a family there for a few weeks. I'm 27 now, and haven't exactly stayed in touch these past 10+ years. Regardless, it's hard not to recall them in my mind when I entertain the thoughts of going back there. Anyways, on a random Facebook search, I actually found the profiles of the two brothers in the family I stayed with. I haven't tried to contact them yet, because I have been questioning this: what is the propriety of reaching out to someone who lives an ocean away, and you only really socialized with for a few weeks 10 years after the fact? Is that just weird? Or is it weird (or at least a weak move, on my part) if, on the other hand, I happened to find myself in France again and didn't try to reach out when I'm in the area and they're a button click away?

I think it's perfect ok to catch up with the family. As long as you don't ask to stay with them