+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Confused wether my best friend likes me or not

min is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag

Confused wether my best friend likes me or not

I am in love with my best friend. She cares a lot for me. We spend most of our time on phone. We talk till late night. We are also in the same class. So practically we are always together. She gets tensed when i don't study or do well in exam. When i was the topper of the class and she the second topper, she forgot her rank and proudly told everybody about my result. Whenever i m in any problem, she comes forward to help me. She can't tolerate anybody badmouthing me. She gets depressed. Whenever we fight, she cant concentrate on her studies. She always supports me. She says that she needs me. She admitted that she don't have any problem with my feelings. She is fine with it. Infact inspite of knowing my feelings she talks to be late night, always insists me not to leave her(as a friend). Once she told me that she needs me. One day we were playing rapid fire round and i asked her if she likes anybody, she instantly replied "you" and then suddenly got quiet. To ease up matter i told her that "its ok. I know you dont have feelings for me" . Whenever we have a fight and i say that i will not show my feelings to you, she instantly replies that she has never said anything about my feelings and she never said not to show my feelings.
    Now i am confused. Sometimes she behaves in such a way that it seems she has got something for me. But she always says that she dont want to be in a relationship. Her last relationship has caused her much pain and she is afraid that she might get hurt once again. Sometimes it seems that she cant forget her ex. She wants to do something for her family ad wants her family to search a boy for her. She is afraid to enter into relationship.

PS- Her family loves me very much. Infact whenever she is depressed or sick, her mother rings me up and ask me to talk to her so that she feels good. Her mother trust me and feels that i always support her. Moreover i was also into a relationship earlier which never worked out.(She knew about it and helped me a lot from overcoming that relationship. She supported me in every possible way).

I suggest you read Melody Beattie's book, Codependent No More. You can order it through Amazon.com. This sounds like a very enmeshed relationship where you rescue each other from your feelings, illness, breakups - everything. There is a difference between being supportive and having an almost symbiotic relationship. Ann
    Ann

Here's a clue - Best friends communicate well. If you don't know... she doesn't.

No, she doesn't have any romantic feelings for you. She's actually been quite clear about this - the confusion is only because you don't want to accept it
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Normally, I'd say if she says she doesn't want to be in a relationship, that's the end of story. But I'm wondering how long it's been since you asked her. That comment she threw out during your game about liking you is a bit suspicious. She may have changed her feelings since the last time you discussed this. You might want to try bringing it up again and try to really listen to what she's saying. If she says she doesn't want to be in a relationship and only wants to be friends, then you have your answer. If she's just talking about being scared, then their might be some hope.

Alternatively, if you keep showing your interest without being demanding, she might make an obvious move at some point. My husband and I started off as good friends with him liking me first. Eventually, my feelings started developing as well, but I was scared of saying anything until I was sure about them as I didn't want to hurt him. Once I got to the point of being more confident after a number of months, I became more obvious about it. So something similar may be happening here, and you may want to wait it out. It will mean you'll be on edge for a while though. I really don't know what would have happened if my husband had confronted me about my feelings sooner though. It might have moved the relationship forward faster or might have set it back a bit.