+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dating a girl that has mostly guy friends... this is new to me!

Dating a girl that has mostly guy friends... this is new to me!

My girlfriend and I have been dating for a couple months now and she is the first girlfriend that I've dated that has mostly guy friends. I'm still getting used to this whole new relationship and accepting the fact that she has guy friends in which she talks to and hangs out with when Im not around... She's known these guys since highschool and she's going onto age 25. I know I shouldn't be worried cause I've met most of these guys and they seem pretty cool, but the last time I hung out with them one of them got really drunk and started hugging my girlfriend all close like... she looked at me when he did that and the next day brought it up and said "you looked worried when he kinda jumped on me like that, he just does that when he gets drunk he's all huggy and stuff" I didn't really say much back but It was noticeable.

Don't get me wrong she's a good girl and wants me to stay over everynight. I practically live at her house but the weekends I have my daughter when my time is spent with her, she usually makes plans with her guy friends. I don't really know if Im jealous maybe insecure about it all because I know for a fact a bunch of single dudes don't just keep a cute chick around for no reason. I just need some advice to not worry about it anymore and assess every situation right. thanks!

probably an attention whore. is there a reason she doesnt have any female friends?

"i get along better with guys less drama"

Don't take her seriously yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BackUpOrGetStng View Post
    Don't take her seriously yet.
    What do you mean exactly? Lol

I have several guy friends, I've had guy friends since I was a kid (I'm now 23). I learned with time that the necessary condition for friendship to be possible between opposite-sex persons is lack of physical attraction from either side. Otherwise, friendship is simply impossible. Opposite sex friends don't flirt with each other (not even as a joke), don't hug each other (apart from rare occasions such as a farewell party or a funeral etc) and most definitely don't cuddle, they don't keep in constant communication with each other (e.g. via text or chat), don't go on one-on-one dates with each other (e.g. dinners, movies, concerts...), don't talk to each other until late at night. Does your girlfriend do any of these things with one or more of her guy friends?

Has she mentioned whether she has a guy best friend? If so, have you seen them together? How close are they, how often do they contact each other?
    Last edited by searock; 16-05-13 at 05:25 AM.

I have more guy friends than female friends so I'll give you my perspective. There were more guys than girls in my University course so by default, I made friends with the guys and some of us have been close ever since. In my respective career/job, there are more men than women also, so again...another reason why my male friendships outweigh my female ones.

Now, my close group of male friend and I have never had a relationship that extends beyond friendship...a couple of them are gay, some are married or in relationships and so forth. If my partner had a problem with this, it would make things tough; these are my close friends and I see them no differently than I do my female friends. Yes, sometimes they might hug me or tease or whatever but we've known each other for a long time so it's just a side-effect of being very familiar/comfortable with each other. Also, I know too much about them to want to date them but if I wanted to do that, there have been plenty of times when I could have done so when I've been single. I didn't and wouldn't.

So, in my opinion, it's not necessarily something you need to feel threatened by. And, considering you're with her all the time except when you need to do your own thing, it's normal than she makes other plans. I dated a guy with a child when I was younger and if it wasn't for my friends, I would have gotten pretty lonely.