View Poll Results: Do you believe in Fate or Destiny?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

5 55.56%
  • NO

1 11.11%
  • Are you crazy.

3 33.33%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in Fate or Destiny?

Do you believe in Fate or Destiny?

I just wanted to know if people here beileve that in fate or destiny. And if so why do you believe in it? Or not believe in it.

I even provided the dictionary.com definitions for people who do not know what these words mean.

des·ti·ny Audio pronunciation of "destiny" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dst-n)
    n. pl. des·ti·nies

1. The inevitable or necessary fate to which a particular person or thing is destined; one's lot.
    2. A predetermined course of events considered as something beyond human power or control: “Marriage and hanging go by destiny” (Robert Burton).
    3. The power or agency thought to predetermine events: Destiny brought them together.

destiny

n 1: an event (or a course of events) that will inevitably happen in the future [syn: fate] 2: the ultimate agency that predetermines the course of events (often personified as a woman); "we are helpless in the face of Destiny" [syn: Destiny, Fate] 3: your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you); "whatever my fortune may be"; "deserved a better fate"; "has a happy lot"; "the luck of the Irish"; "a victim of circumstances"; "success that was her portion" [syn: fortune, fate, luck, lot, circumstances, portion]

fate Audio pronunciation of "fate" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ft)
    n.

1. The supposed force, principle, or power that predetermines events.
    2. The inevitable events predestined by this force.
    2. A final result or consequence; an outcome.
    3. Unfavorable destiny; doom.
    4. Fates Greek & Roman Mythology. The three goddesses, Clotho, Lachesis, and Atropos, who control human destiny. Used with the.

fate

n 1: an event (or a course of events) that will inevitably happen in the future [syn: destiny] 2: the ultimate agency that predetermines the course of events (often personified as a woman); "we are helpless in the face of Destiny" [syn: Destiny, Fate] 3: your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you); "whatever my fortune may be"; "deserved a better fate"; "has a happy lot"; "the luck of the Irish"; "a victim of circumstances"; "success that was her portion" [syn: fortune, destiny, luck, lot, circumstances, portion] v : decree or designate beforehand; "She was destined to become a great pianist" [syn: destine, doom, designate]
    You may not think you are the world of someone, but to someone you are their whole world.

Yes. If you're born, you're fated to die. Next.
    Speak less. Say more.

HAHAHA that is one answer I was not expecting.
    You may not think you are the world of someone, but to someone you are their whole world.

I believe that fate leads us to points where we have to do decisions. I believe that every life is planned and every life has a task.
    Don't expect anything.

So you think that everything is laid out for us, like a question with 2 answers. But our life is dependant on the option we chose as the answer.

More seriously, NBH, depends on how you're using the term. If you walk off the edge of a cliff, you're bound to fall. During the walk, before you reach the edge, you're fated and destined to fall off. If, on the other hand, if you're using it to refer to some sort of unalterable cosmic order to the scheme of things, consider this: Astrologers use the words "fate" and "destiny" A LOT to justify their craft. Draw your own conclusions.
    Last edited by whaywardj; 17-07-05 at 01:04 PM.
    Speak less. Say more.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Nah, it's all random and chaotic.

What's the purpose of purpose?

This shit again?! ...its all cause and effect....cause and effect...cause and effect.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins
    This shit again?! ...its all cause and effect....cause and effect...cause and effect.
    That's what fate would lead you to believe...

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee
    That's what fate would lead you to believe...
    That makes no sense. Fate is cause and effect . You mean it would fool me to think that I actually have a choice when I dont.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    you had a choice to talk to that girl, but you didn't. that was your fate.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

There is no fate. Can you immagine all the PLANNING that would have had to go into it? Neither can I. You couldn't just plan out the "big picture" because details can and do affect it. And, of course, there are details to the details.

What happens, happens. When its all over we die, and we get to go to Heaven (yeah, gotta add a little religion to this) and its so great there that it really doesn't MATTER what happens here.

Goes a long way towards explaining that "Why would God let this happen?" kind of thing.

Oh this is an easy one. Of course there is such thing as "fate" or "destiny" or what have you. There is NO free will. We only percieve free will from our narrow-minded viewpoint

See, time is ever-flowing. There is no such thing as a time-paradox, for example. you cannot go back in time to kill your grandfather because you already DID, and obviously you somehow FAILED because YOU WERE BORN. It already happened before you, in your own time, went back to do it. Does that make sense?

When I lift of a piece of paper, I am not twisting off a branch of time, one path that said "he did lift the paper" and the other that says "he did not lift the paper" Since I can't go back in time and actually change the choice from "lifted paper" to "did not lift paper" then, for all intents and purposes, there IS NO SECOND CHOICE. It simply does not exist. I PICKED UP THE PAPER. Period. I cannot undo what I did, I was ALWAYS going to pick up the paper because I ended up doing so.

Freedom of will is an illusion brought about by our inability to see time as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional
    you had a choice to talk to that girl, but you didn't. that was your fate.

raverboy
    If that was my fate then I didnt have a choice now did I..offcourse not lol. Choice is an illusions. Anyway...I talked to her allready ..she wont talk to me. Get that through your skulls people.

See..it all depends what fate. There apperantly two kinds. Nothing is planned out...that kind of fate doesnt exits....but..everything that happens had a cause to it so in a way it wouldnt have happened any other way..meaning a type of fate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast