+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Please help me with your advice / opinions

Please help me with your advice / opinions

Hi there, I'm hoping people may be able to offer me a little advice please...

I'm 36 years old and have been divorced for just over a year. I have a ten year old daughter that I see a lot of.

Needless to say after being married for 12 years I'm not great at the dating side of things... But this has happened recently...

Approx 4 months ago I met a girl (ten years younger than me) - nothing happened as at that time she had a boyfriend. We did however quickly become very good friends... About a month ago when she split with her boyfriend I plucked up the courage to tell her that I saw her as more than a friend. I was told that she "just didn't have those feelings for me" fair enough I thought - and we continued to be friends...

We met for drinks last week - and whilst tipsy she kissed me. She told me that she's always been interested but things are difficult. That night we kissed a lot, held hands around town - acted like a couple.

We didn't sleep together - the next day we had a chat about everything and she basically told me that she doesn't know what she wants - she finds it difficult that I have a daughter because if things go wrong it could hurt her too - I do understand this. She also says she has a major issue and worry about losing my friendship if something went wrong...

Since then she told a mutual friend that she kissed me. Said friend said "was it just a drunken kiss?" To which she replied "no it meant something"

I understand she is only in her twenties, and the fairy tale probably never involved a man with a daughter from a failed marriage...

I'm really puzzled as to what to do know. I don't want to put any pressure on her - but I don't want to miss any window of opportunity. I don't know why she on,y told me this stuff after she had had a drink (courage perhaps).

Anyway if anyone has any. Advice or opinions on the situation I'd be really grateful.

Thank you for reading this.

If they just broke Im sure she still has feelings for the guy. Enjoy what she will offer but keep it emotionally lite until se time has passed, Dont end up the rebound

Sorry I should have stated that her and this guy only dated for about 5 weeks - she never felt it worked so ended it with him. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Just be patient and see where it goes, why do you need to push it forward, if she is feeling it too, she will let you know better she makes a move again and not you and she gets bothered. She already admitted she liked you and liked the kiss, in so many words. I don't think 26 and 36 is a bad age difference I would think 20 and 30 would be, but you both are mature enough. Call and ask her out at some point soon, but let her give to more sign to you while out.

Thanks for that it's good advice. It's just all been so confusing.
    I do see her a lot so perhaps you're right and I should just be patient.

I know she likes me - I've always been able to tell by the amount she texts and visits etc.

I kind of feel like this is the last hurdle we need to get over before we can be together - but we'll see.

You both are feeling a little emotionally vulnerable, which is normal. Instead of guessing, do it properly, ask her out on a date, get to know her, communicate expectations,etc.

Thanks smackie9 that's good advice...

Actually since the whole situation occurred it does seem to me that she's pulling back from me a little bit...

Never like to read too much into these things but the texts and visits are certainly less frequent...

Not really sure what to make of that at all.