+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How could he not know he wasn't in love with me?

How could he not know he wasn't in love with me?

My ex recently broke up with me saying that he couldn't consider marrying me as he was not in love with me. This happened after dating for 2 years and I can't get my head round why he never brought this up earlier. Surely someone knows whether there heart is in it a lot sooner than this?

For all intents and purposes he acted like he loved me and on a follow up email after the break up said he 'loved and cared for me an awful lot'.

We were friends but not close ones before we started dating and he wants us to go back to being friends once the dust settles, so it's like we've gone full circle. But I don't want to hang out with him after all this.

I'm really angry with him because I'm 34 and made it quite clear that I wanted to get married and have a family. It would have been fine to date me for 3-6 months and then say that the feelings weren't there on his part. But 2 years!?

He hadn't had a serious girlfriend before me so maybe he just liked the novelty of finally having someone interested in him? But when the reality of the situation hit and the expectation on him he bailed.

I'm now quite nervous about dating again and being duped by others. It's left a bitter taste in my mouth.

It can take up to 2 years for the honeymoon period to end and realize your not happy. I doubt he did this on purpose. Maybe his feelings changed recently.

And I think you should move on, get back out there. You will meet someone else. Dont let this drag you down
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

It is better to have love and lost to have never loved at all.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I think we all have tried something similar.
    And everytime when we try it. We just become more aware.