+ Follow This Topic

Thread: First thread... Crushing on this family friend...?

First thread... Crushing on this family friend...?

Hi guys!! This is my very first post on here! This post is the reason I joined the site, so hopefully you guys can help me out here!

I'm 20 and she's 18. I've known her for the better part of 10 years, but I don't know her as anything more than a family friend. I haven't talked to her (or seen her) in about a year, but I'm not really sure why not... I kind of get shy whenever I think of texting her so I just don't end up doing it.

Our social circles and lives don't really cross- with the exception of being family friends and going to the same high school (although we are a few years apart, so even then we didn't cross too much). Now in college, we go to different schools. We are about 2 hours away from eachother.

I've hung out with her a few times, but have never mentioned anything about me liking her. However, I'm sure she has an idea that I've been crushing on her just by the way I act in general around people I like (like mr nice guy).

We've texted a ton before (kind of a lot, actually), but she seems uninterested with me over text, which is completely opposite to how she seems in person. I tend to over think things (maybe I'm doing that here), but thats why I feel shy about texting her, which leads to us not talking or seeing eachother, which makes everything more awkward down the line.

For those saying "just ask her out," I'm afraid it's not that simple for me. I'd love to ask her out, but it seems like my problem just gets compounded... I don't see her unless our families do something together, so to talk to her, I need to text her. I can't ask her to meet in person to ask her out without first asking her over text, so it just feels like a big, never ending circle!

Plus, I just feel like it would be awkward as he'll texting her again after not talking to her for a year. I mean, wouldn't you girls feel a little bit weirded out by a guy texting you at random?

What do you think?! Thanks in advance!

If you have a thread you would like some 2 cents on, just leave the link and I will get back to you!

Maybe try getting a sibling or family member to text her and see how she feels about you. No harm in texting. If she likes you or has feelings she will probably be exited if not then there's your answer

Quote Originally Posted by KiwixLime View Post
    Maybe try getting a sibling or family member to text her and see how she feels about you. No harm in texting. If she likes you or has feelings she will probably be exited if not then there's your answer
    Haha, that would be a great idea, but my sister has always opposed the thought of this relationship. She has made it clear to me she doesn't want it to happen, and clearly doesn't want to help with it. She fears that it will create too much drama within our families if it goes well or poorly. Not sure why she feels this way, but she does. She is just internally opposed to the idea :/

I absolutely think you are overthinking and compounding the situation. It really IS that simple- just ask her out. Not only that, but you already have her number and have texted her before. Send her a text letting her know that you want to take her out. You can always look around her area to see if there are any new restaurants, concerts, coffee shops, whatever, and then tell her you'd love for her to check it out with you. It's really that easy. The worst thing she can do is say no. You miss every shot you don't take!