+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Living Under Parents Roof Obey Their Rules

Living Under Parents Roof Obey Their Rules

I have always lived under my parents roof for the past 28 years. And my parents have always told me with every guy I dated or was in a relationship with, "Don't fool around, or have sex in our household". I have obeyed them and have not at times. My Boyfriend can't understand as to why my parents have this rule, it's like your an adult, you should be able to do what you want, he says the girls he dated in the past, that their parents were fine if they made out or had sex in their house. So having him hear this from my parents is weird. Have any of you ever experienced this sort of thing? What would you do if you had kids and were in this situation? What should I do?

Providing they are not being abusive, it's nobody's place to judge your parents on their house rules.

Your boyfriend is wrong. Yes, technically, you are an adult. But you are living as a child being supported by her parents. To expect the benefits of being an adult - making all your own choices in life - you need live independently. While you're living under your parent's roof (and especially if they are giving you ANY financial support) they have the absolute right to dictate what goes on under their roof. If you don't like their rules, you move out. There really is no debate on this.

My parents would have been like yours. So I moved out when I was 17
    Last edited by basilandthyme; 12-09-15 at 10:03 PM.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Why don't you get a job and move out of your parents house? What afflicts you that you have the life experience of a 13 year old?

It's YOUR parents house, not yours so you should respect THEIR rules and tell your boyfriend to respect them as well.

I moved out when I was 18. You're practically middle aged and you're still there and asking all these questions wherein you don't seem to have the capacity to be the tiniest bit able to logically think out the answers all by yourself.

There is definitely something not very grown-up or mature in your questions.

... The fact that your boyfriend sounds very controlling and bordering on abusive and you can't seem to even see that also speaks of your ability in general to look after yourself.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

No parent wants their house treated like a motel, so seems right but then be grateful you can live there so long into your 20s, do you pay rent if not then don't complain.