+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Having an attitude when something doesn't go my way is ruining my relationship

Having an attitude when something doesn't go my way is ruining my relationship

So this has been a sort-of recurring issue in my relationship. S/O will say something that I don't like or he'll say we can't hang out and I'll then get a bad attitude, which ends up with us getting into an argument... Obviously this is something I really need to work on.

How can I change? I really don't want my relationship to end because of something so stupid and immature on my part (I'm 23, so I obviously shouldn't be like this)

That's not an easy question to answer, but I think the very fact that you realize you have an issue is a good first step. You'd be surprised how many people could have the same problem, or any number of other problems, yet steadfastly refuse to ever admit or acknowledge that there is anything wrong with them or anything they could work on to improve themselves. The very fact that you admit to your flaws proves you are at least mature enough to admit to your own failings.

That is the sort of thing you just have to find within yourself to change. I wish we could, but I don't think we can necessarily offer specific advice because it is the sort of thing you have to change within yourself. There is no magical easy answer. I will say this, if you're not confident you can change it on your own, don't hesitate to seek out professional help. That is NOT a sign of weakness. A professional therapist could help you to better understand why you are this way, which could help you better determine how to allow yourself to get over it.

Good luck to you!