My friends introduced me to a guy. We really liked each other, so he visited me many times (he lives in a different city) and we did many cutesy things like: holding hands, kissing, and going on dates. Recently, he stopped texting me. I am really shy so once in a while I would send him snapchats and he would respond nicely and sometimes flirty. Since, it was only me sending him snaps all the time I stopped. I even told him I would visit him and he seemed really excited about it. after I told him that, I waited days for him to text me and it never happend. So, I finally gained the courage to ask him to go to a festival with me in the city I am living in. My friends stopped me from asking him and told me what had happened. Apparently our mutual friends thought it was a good idea to get me tickets as a surprise gift to go and see him. They called him first asking him if it was okay and he said it was not a good idea. He said he didnt want me to feel used after staying with him (because we cant be a couple due to the distance) and that he was trying to forget what happened between us. He has tried being in a long distance relationship before and it didn't work. He said he really liked me a lot and would like to see me but he also gave excuses. He said that we had different hobbies so it wouldnt work anyways, that I was going to get bored of him. After I found out, I was really embarrased because of what my friends tried to do and I also didnt text him. I saw no point in doing so since he wanted to forget everything.

The thing is, I totally understand his point of view but I cant stop liking and wanting to see him. Also, there is something nobody knows yet, before I met him I was going through an existential crisis of what I really wanted to do with my life, so I had decided to transfer to a university (for a program that my current Uni doesnt have) in his city. I am still waiting for the university to accept my transfer so I dont want to give him high hopes or sad news to my friends just in case I cant get in.

Do you think I should have texted him after our friends told me what he said? should I still talk to him about it even though we are not even a couple? He still likes me,so should I be less shy and not give up? Should I text him? I dont think I should tell him about the transfer until I know for sure.