+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Religion & Philosophy

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yup. Lots of people become VERY emotionally attached to the idea of dragging a bug infested tree into their house every year and sticking lights and stuff all over it.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Yeah for dating it worked....but for long term..I could see the problems ahead...

My tree isn't bug infested... its a fake!! Best kind....less fuss....
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vashti
    Lots of people become VERY emotionally attached to the idea of dragging a bug infested tree into their house every year and sticking lights and stuff all over it.
    If I was bug-infested would you still drag me into your house and stick lights and stuff all over?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathu
    If I was bug-infested would you still drag me into your house and stick lights and stuff all over?
    only in your dreams.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

LoL religion...I spit on it. Philosophy on the other hand is one of my passions.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins
    LoL religion...I spit on it. Philosophy on the other hand is one of my passions.
    Hey! Same here!

You suck.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Philosophy attempts to answer questions about existence and knowledge and ethics. How is that different than religion??

King Zarathu Guest
    re·li·gion Audio pronunciation of "religion" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-ljn)
    n.

1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
    2. A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
    2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
    3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
    4. A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

phi·los·o·phy Audio pronunciation of "philosophy" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (f-ls-f)
    n. pl. phi·los·o·phies

1. Love and pursuit of wisdom by intellectual means and moral self-discipline.
    2. Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.
    3. A system of thought based on or involving such inquiry: the philosophy of Hume.
    4. The critical analysis of fundamental assumptions or beliefs.
    5. The disciplines presented in university curriculums of science and the liberal arts, except medicine, law, and theology.
    6. The discipline comprising logic, ethics, aesthetics, metaphysics, and epistemology.
    7. A set of ideas or beliefs relating to a particular field or activity; an underlying theory: an original philosophy of advertising.
    8. A system of values by which one lives: has an unusual philosophy of life.
    ^^^ [Dictionary.com] ^^^

And that, there, is how philosophy is different than religion.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Do you not see how they overlap?

as much as I don't want to be dragged into this... I think they do overlap-- depending on what area of philosophy you're into, etc, I suppose.

King Zarathu Guest
    Do you not see how they overlap?
    In order to see this I would have had to look. I should have been a wiser smart-ass.

Philosophy attempts to answer questions about existence and knowledge and ethics. How is that different than religion??

Philosophy does it with facts, while religion with non-sense hahahaha. In philosophy they question everything and accept nothing that has doubt. In-fact these two or so different that they dont even teach theism as a part of philosophy courses where I study AT ALL..actually it is more of a joke...as it should be. Philosophy or the love of wisdom teaches one main thing..to figure things out and only accept them when there is no doubt in mind through reason and logic...two things COMPLETELY missing in religion. Actually it is a good thing that Mr. Zarathu posted those definitions...notice how one says "belief" and the other one says "investigation"? hmmm...makes you think eh?
    Last edited by Only-virgins; 16-06-06 at 03:51 PM.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Only-virgins
    Philosophy does it with facts, while religion with non-sense hahahaha
    Pwnt.

--

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, OV, but you DO realize (I hope) that Christianity is based almost entirely on the philosophy of Plato (the allegory of the cave should ring a bell), the philosophy of Plotinus, and the philosophy of the Stoics...

King Zarathu Guest
    Pwnt... again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12