+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Religion & Philosophy

Religion & Philosophy

I often read a lot about different philosophical points of view, and religious perspectives. Sort of gives me a better way to look at life with an open mind. There's a question that's resurfaced more than once in my head that I can't exactly answer.

If two people are of different religions, I know that in the ideal situation, it shouldn't matter and the people should still love each other regardless or race or whatever.

But in the real world, it doesn't usually happen this way. I have an Indian friend whose...obviously hindu, and because he's different than the majority (catholics, christians) etc, he has a hard time trying to meet women.

Yet, on the other hand, I have a friend whose catholic, who has it easier meeting women.

Obviously because the catholic is part of a major majority it's going to be easier for him with less complications dealing with family to date a wider range of women.

I myself am christian, just to put that out there.

Is it attractive to women for a guy whose say...hindu, or buddhist to stand strong to who he is and what he believes in, even if it's a different race or religion.

Or...should he conform to the majority to make it easier and less complicated.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Christian religion is "belief-based", meaning you have to be able to suspend rational thought to be Christian (believe in virgin birth, rising from the dead, etc.), and it is REALLY hard for people who are knowledgeable about other religious systems to do that.

This being the case, I don't see how one could "conform to the majority" with any sincerity, so yes, I have a great deal of respect for those who can resist the temptation to just blend in. In fact, I would have trouble respecting someone who just wants to make their life "easier and less complicated".

Maybe if you learned about his religious beliefs, you would understand why your friend wishes to hold on to them rather than wimp out and take the easy road. Just a thought...
    Last edited by vashti; 12-06-06 at 09:36 AM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

King Zarathu Guest
    -.-

Quote Originally Posted by vashti
    Christian religion is "belief-based", meaning you have to be able to suspend rational thought to be Christian (believe in virgin birth, rising from the dead, etc.)
    <-- The face of mockery.

To stay on-topic...
    Maybe if you learned about his religious beliefs, you would understand why your friend wishes to hold on to them rather than wimp out and take the easy road. Just a thought...
    Do that. Twice.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Hmm.. that wasn't intended as mockery; it is simply fact. Glad it gave you a chuckle, skateboy.
    Last edited by vashti; 12-06-06 at 10:06 PM.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

King Zarathu Guest
    that was intended as mockery
    OMG TYPO LO!LL!O!LO!11

That means your subconcious is prejudiced against Christians. Tell your subconcious that he/she is right.

Glad it gave you a chuckle, skateboy.
    PFT! Skateboy?! I call abuse.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    haha - boy I am a crappy typist!! And yes, I would love to abuse you a little!

PS - I have edited that post for clarity.

My husband is a Christian. I am an atheist. It works out good for us.

I live in Texas tho, so I've always had a plethora of Christian friends and family members (although MOST of my friends do tend to be agnostics/atheists). I am adamant that I'd never have a relationship with someone who doesn't accept the theory of evolution or thinks the earth is 6,000 years old. A lot of modern, liberal Christians, however, are easy for me to tolerate.

We've each had an effect on the other that we're happy with. Sounds cliche, but, I have influenced him to read more and tone down the knee-jerk emotional reactions in arguments and the like. And being around him has made me more expressive and attentive to my feelings.
    I guess he probably thinks I will go to hell when I die, and that might bother him. That's the only problem I can think of tho.

I'd be a little bit disappointed if he gave up his religion. I don't think he ever would though. I've never tried to "de-convert" him. I think that there is a lot of beauty in faith. And in skepticism too. One of the things I like about him is that there are ways in which we are very different.

King Zarathu Guest
    And yes, I would love to abuse you a little!
    vashti! I'm not ready for that kind of emotional commitment...

i think the answer lies in our society's stereotypes. as you indirectly confessed hindu familes are complicated to deal with, or if i may correct you, indian families. that may be so, but not because of religion. infact they are not 'complicated' to deal with at all, there is just a different way of dealing. indians are family oriented, so are italians, greeks and many other cultures. not because they are hindus or christians but because those are their values and morals. and it is impossible to surrender those.

but our society labels individuals as hindus, catholics, christians, etc and thereby generates their persona. And yes religion to varying degree dicates lifestyles, which i beleive is wrong too, and therefore could justify these stereotypes. but these stereotypes are also grossly exaggerated. so i am not sure what the culprit here is, social stereotypes or religious dictations.

as for your friend, let him determine what his values and morals are, beleive in them and then communicate them, not as hindu belifes but as his own beliefs. then hinduism will have nothing to do with the fact that he has a hard time meeting women. Catch my drift?

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathu
    vashti! I'm not ready for that kind of emotional commitment...
    Good one mate! that made me laugh!

King Zarathu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer101
    Good one mate! that made me laugh!
    Thank you dear.
    Last edited by King Zarathu; 13-06-06 at 10:15 AM.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

King Zarathu Guest
    vashti got gangbanged.

Ellynn is offline Love Gurus
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I am christian..and I dated a Jewish guy... I thought it was interesting to learn about his religion and even got to come over for a sedar while his dad led it. (His Dad was a rabbi.) I respected that his religion meant alot to him. He followed the diet and fasting and all that... But, when he tried to get me to change my religion in order for us to get more serious... I was unsure.
    I was raised Christian (Lutheran) and went to a private school all throughout grade school.....so that was just something I couldn't do. I was thinking about considering it, but then he cheated on me.. So well.....things didn't work out..

If I met another man of a religion other then christianity, I would consider dating him. The main thing is how we feel about each other... I just don't feel I should have to change my beliefs for someone else. So, I don't expect them to either.
    Appreciate the good times and learn from the bad times....

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellynn
    If I met another man of a religion other then christianity, I would consider dating him. The main thing is how we feel about each other... I just don't feel I should have to change my beliefs for someone else. So, I don't expect them to either.
    This works out very well, but only when you are dating. When you get married and have children, the question becomes do we raise them in your religion, mine, or neither. This is difficult for anyone who values their religious tradition, whether or not one thinks they are that connected to it. Imagine what it would be like to be expected to give up your Christmas tree every year, for example...

King Zarathu Guest
    This works out very well, but only when you are dating. When you get married and have children, the question becomes do we raise them in your religion, mine, or neither. This is difficult for anyone who values their religious tradition, whether or not one thinks they are that connected to it.
    True, indeed. My ex's mom said that--"What happens if you get married? What religion are you going to bring your kids up with?" What a crazy bitch.

Imagine what it would be like to be expected to give up your Christmas tree every year, for example...
    No!! NO!!! Not the Christmas tree!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast