View Poll Results: Is it wrong to give the silent treatment?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

4 66.67%
  • no

2 33.33%
+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: silent treatment? yes or no?

In anger management class, I learned that some people need to retreat from a confrontation because that's just the way they are. However, that retreat can be respectful or disrespectful, depending on how it's handled. Just stonewalling somebody with the silent treatment is disrespectful and sometimes even hurtful. Withdrawing from a confrontation with a firm commitment to discuss the matter at a fairly specific later time (tonight, tomorrow, etc.) is more respectful, and displays a willingness to discuss and solve the problem.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoG91 View Post
    In anger management class, I learned that some people need to retreat from a confrontation because that's just the way they are. However, that retreat can be respectful or disrespectful, depending on how it's handled. Just stonewalling somebody with the silent treatment is disrespectful and sometimes even hurtful. Withdrawing from a confrontation with a firm commitment to discuss the matter at a fairly specific later time (tonight, tomorrow, etc.) is more respectful, and displays a willingness to discuss and solve the problem.
    That's good to know cos I honestly don't know any other way of dealing with it. When I am upset, I don't actually have a plan to discuss it later though. I just know that I can't deal with it at a present heating moment. I think it's a childhood thing that I've developed such a stubborn character which works good and bad in every apect of my life i.e relationship, career and etc.

One thing I know for sure is that I don't do it on purpose to be disrespectful. It's just that that's the only way I know how to deal with it.

It's probably the one and only thing I regret that I could've done better with my ex.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12