+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silent treatment going on 8 hrs

Silent treatment going on 8 hrs

I need some advice- I would really rather not hear "you're too good for him," or "He's just an asshole" or anything like that, because well frankly I can figure that out for myself.

My boyfriend and I have been together for 3 years. Due to the economic struggles I was unable to find work after the beach season ended (I am a caricature artist and plant merchandiser, both seasonal only careers). I work all day all summer, and save as much $ as possible, so that I can do school during the fall and not have to worry about working. However, my boyfriend lost HIS job about a year ago. He hasn't been able to find out either. Businesses here are going under left and right, and those who haven't closed their doors have cut hours for the employees they already have.

Bottom line: We lost our apartment.

SO- I am living with him at his mothers house. I have my own room. Yay. I'm so happy- let. me. tell. you.

He spends his time:
    * in a storage shed with his friends (band practice, very important)
    * at his buddy's house (he's "fixing" up the place, but nothing has gotten done yet)
    * on his computer downloading movies
    * laying around with our even more lazy than he is dog name Jersey.

I spend my time looking for work, networking, making calls, cleaning, helping his mother who recently had surgery, and going completely out of my mind.

Yesterday

I told BF that he did not need to ask me for permission to go to band practice/friends house/bar/show whatever, unless he's already made plans with me- because then it would be rude- but he's his own man and can think for himself.

Today

I was getting ready to go to a friends house, when BF comes in and says "Why are you getting all dressed up? " (Mind you I'm in yoga pants and sweat shirt). I told him I was going to her house. He said "but I made plans for the whole day," which completely blew me away. I told him right away I would cancel.. and he laughed, and said he was just kidding, he had not made any plans with me.

I shrugged his hand away, and said "that isn't funny" and started to say that I would have liked it if we spent the day together, but he got so pissed off he stormed away and has not spoken a word to me since.

8..9 hours ago.

If I talk to him he ignores me.

Then he left and picked up a friend (who is an even BIGGER dead beat) so that I wouldn't bother trying again.

What now?
    Last edited by Merkury; 01-02-09 at 11:14 AM. Reason: spelling

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Enjoy the silence?
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

yeah

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Enjoy the silence?
    I've heard that one..

If I were a man, I would. But I'm not. I hate being ignored, I don't demand attention, I'm not a cheerleader, I just expect a reply when I ask my boyfriend a question. I mean, he even ignored food! And he's a fat boy!

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Fat boys can ignore food, they got so much stored up. It'll do him some good.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd get yourself financially sound and move out by yourself, let him stay home with mommy.

We'll see who breaks the silent treatment then.

You can only fix things about yourself.

Then again, he's been out of work for a year. He might very well be having some pretty big emotional turmoil that he doesn't feel he is able to voice.

But, silent treatment is bullshit. Treat him like a spoiled child, ignore him and go on with your life as normal. Eventually he'll talk, and when he does kindly explain to him that you find the silent treatment to be petty, childish, and passive-aggressive. That if he does not want to talk about something, then he should directly say so like a mature adult.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

so, why are you still there?
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

That would piss me right off. Just carry on with your own business, eventually he will talk and when he does tell him how immature and childish it is to use the 'silent treatment' and that he needs to cut that shit out if he wants you to treat him like an adult and be his girl.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body...

Emotional Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    You can only fix things about yourself.

Then again, he's been out of work for a year. He might very well be having some pretty big emotional turmoil that he doesn't feel he is able to voice.

But, silent treatment is bullshit. Treat him like a spoiled child, ignore him and go on with your life as normal. Eventually he'll talk, and when he does kindly explain to him that you find the silent treatment to be petty, childish, and passive-aggressive. That if he does not want to talk about something, then he should directly say so like a mature adult.
    My whole life I heard of women trying to change their men, and I thought "why would change someone you love?". Well, I recently found out that you CAN'T, and I'd also heard that my whole life, but didn't realize I was trying to do that. I just want my old boyfriend back- the sweet guy I fell in love with. The man who would do anything for me who now didn't even bother getting me a birthday present because he was broke. ((Which he KNOWS he could have picked flowers out of the woods and I'd have been happy)).

Where do you draw the line? When do you walk away, change yourself, and wait and see if he follows the lead? Because I am moving out as soon as possible, he isn't invited. Work for me starts in a month, and school shortly after. When do I say, you haven't even tried, and just... disapear?

Everyone changes and grows. To wish you had the old person back is farcical. They're not that person anymore, and likely never will be that person ever again. It's just a part of life. Either you grow together, or you grow apart, or you stagnate. Only one is good for the relationship, and I'm sure you can figure out which one that is.
    "Well, then," the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

Quote Originally Posted by Lite View Post
    Everyone changes and grows. To wish you had the old person back is farcical. They're not that person anymore, and likely never will be that person ever again. It's just a part of life. Either you grow together, or you grow apart, or you stagnate. Only one is good for the relationship, and I'm sure you can figure out which one that is.
    Sad but true.

Dating young is kind of a crap shoot, people haven't found who they really are and are constantly changing. Those who start dating young and make it to marriage are few and far between.

Takes a long time to actually know who you are really dating.

"What you really fear is inside yourself. You fear your own power.
    You fear your own anger, the drive to do great and terrible things."

The Warmonger

Quote Originally Posted by Merkury View Post
    I need some advice- I would really rather not hear "you're too good for him," or "He's just an asshole" or anything like that, because well frankly I can figure that out for myself.
    Great. Thanks for saving me the time. Now what are you going to do about it?

And by "plant retailer", do you mean that you sell pot on the beach?
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post

you totally killed it!!!!!
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post

Like a plant lamp shop?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyP-3lTgKVk"]YouTube - A Night At The Roxbury, What is love techno RMX[/ame]

ya she spoiled the tempo

Yes, that satisfying tempo we were all enjoying so much.

It's like somebody is on fire and they don't want any suggestions about water buckets or anything like that.
    Spammer Spanker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast