+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are so many people in their 20s taking so long to grow up?

Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    Ohhh geeze, because I'm educated and well employed my ass is gonna be dumped? OHHHHHHHHHHHHH miss edcuated Innnndi- she dumped yet?
    could someone please translate that educated piece of crap for me?
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

girl68 is offline little person, big mouth
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Indignant View Post
    could someone please translate that educated piece of crap for me?
    I told you my story you called it bullshit. What SHOULD I have inferred? IF you were talking about my claim that it's now safer generally to have children later you should have quoted that and called THAT bullshit; instead you called my whole post bullshit.

Okay wait I didn't mention school at the point you said bullshit. However by my saying happy old (educated) wife that persues her school to get a decent career vs a young stupid kid who never went to school and popped out kids at a young age is the perference of my bf.
    Last edited by girl68; 19-08-10 at 01:58 AM.

I'm 23...I see no reason to step on the gas for several reasons. For one it takes longer to really get into careers now. When my parents were my age they could find a factory job and were supposed to be set for life. Now I'm not talking about a job...I'm talking about a career. It takes longer to get into one of those these days. If you really want to achieve something you could be 26-30 before you even really get going in your field.

As for kids and marriage...well once again no hurry...whats another few years? I also blame this on the previous generation as well...I think enough of my generation have watched marriage fail and divorce skyrocket on an epic scale. We are more hesitant. That coupled with the increase in birth control use means less baby makin.

I mean I could be wrong, these are just how I look at things from my perspective.

Oh and I can also say I prefer an intelligent woman. I lose all interest in a woman who is just outright ignorant or stupid....regardless of what she looks like. I have walked away from several pretty girls because they were just half retarded.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Geez, ladies, chill. Why does everyone start launching into personal attacks when there is one disagreement? It looks really silly when you're boasting maturity in a very childish way.

F u being in your twenties rock. I'm 20 and yeah 20s about learning what you want in life

Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    Geez, ladies, chill. Why does everyone start launching into personal attacks when there is one disagreement? It looks really silly when you're boasting maturity in a very childish way.
    Because '**** you' is easier to say than something with substance and a point.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

One factor is the insane cost of a college education these days. Combined with the bad job market for graduates these last two years, and it's no surprise that 20-somethings are still dependent on their parents. I didn't graduate with much debt, but I did start out in a bad job market, followed by another recession a few years later. So I ended up changing jobs on an annual basis throughout my 20s. However, I did move out on my own when I was 19, and have never moved back in with my family. They did help me out financially a few times here and there, and paid for 25% of my college education. I paid the rest, through a combination of scholarship, pell grant, work study jobs and savings, but that was before tuition spiraled out of control. My girlfriend will finish her bachelors degree next spring, with about $50K in student loan debt. She won't go to law school unless she qualifies for a certain scholarship, because the law school she wants to attend would cost another $90K.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    whoa whoa whoa no one threw an F bomb here. I made an intital mistake and corrected it. She still called it bullshit though- with no real point to back it up. I'm still curious as to why my old happy educated ass is going to get dumped in 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by girl68 View Post
    whoa whoa whoa no one threw an F bomb here. I made an intital mistake and corrected it. She still called it bullshit though- with no real point to back it up. I'm still curious as to why my old happy educated ass is going to get dumped in 10 years.
    I was just making a general point about how conversations can quickly deteriorate into personal attacks because people don't like to think and come up with a logical argument. I wasn't talkin specifically about the two of you...more of a general statement.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    I'm 23...I see no reason to step on the gas for several reasons. For one it takes longer to really get into careers now.
    Eh, that's what every generation of 20 year olds says.

But I don't think that is what indig meant. I mean, you all have to admit that you (in large part) remain dependent on your parent's income for ridiculously long periods of time, live at home, spend tons of time trying to "get to know" yourselves. These are actually luxuries that weren't afforded to people your age even 20-30 years ago.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

ok, every1 knos that guys > girls, lol. and like, 20 years olds are totall ysuperior to teh rest of you.

ppl in there 40s are jus stoopid.

lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    I'm 23...I see no reason to step on the gas for several reasons. For one it takes longer to really get into careers now. When my parents were my age they could find a factory job and were supposed to be set for life. Now I'm not talking about a job...I'm talking about a career. It takes longer to get into one of those these days. If you really want to achieve something you could be 26-30 before you even really get going in your field.

As for kids and marriage...well once again no hurry...whats another few years? I also blame this on the previous generation as well...I think enough of my generation have watched marriage fail and divorce skyrocket on an epic scale. We are more hesitant. That coupled with the increase in birth control use means less baby makin.

I mean I could be wrong, these are just how I look at things from my perspective.

Oh and I can also say I prefer an intelligent woman. I lose all interest in a woman who is just outright ignorant or stupid....regardless of what she looks like. I have walked away from several pretty girls because they were just half retarded.
    fine. but when you are 30, would you rather be with an educated 25 year old or 35 year old?
    The male is a domestic animal which, if treated with firmness, can be trained to do most things

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Are you saying that a 35 year old is worthless compared with a 25 year old with the same education? How old are you?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Eh, that's what every generation of 20 year olds says.

But I don't think that is what indig meant. I mean, you all have to admit that you (in large part) remain dependent on your parent's income for ridiculously long periods of time, live at home, spend tons of time trying to "get to know" yourselves. These are actually luxuries that weren't afforded to people your age even 20-30 years ago.
    I moved out at 19 but my parents lived close to campus and it made financial sense....plus BSU makes all freshman either live at home or live on campus. I didn't want to live in a dorm. My parents did pick up 40% of my tuition. I'm not saying its not different from previous generations...but so is the world. Therefore if the world has changed so is the way we will approach it....it does take longer to get into a career outside of flipping burgers.
    Have simply halted

I am the EgGmAn

It's not just about being educated though. Formal education means nothing if you're not doing anything with it. girl is talking about being able to use her education to push her further than she would normally be able to go in her desired field because that is her goal. Stopping to have a family right now will most likely only impede her personal goals. It is fortunate for her that the man in her life agrees and wants to help her pursue these goals without setting limitations of expectations of her.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast