+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do guys care about buying certified diamonds?

When I was in Turkey, some guy tried to sell me a white-gold necklace for $450. I almost told him that I could buy the same thing here for half the price, but I decided it wasn't worth my efforts.

I really don't give a shit about whether/not a rock is certified. I don't think I would ever fork out big moneys for a stupid rock. On the other hand, I do know how much precious metals are worth.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I can't imagine spending a small fortune on something so worthless.

If I ever get hitched maybe instead of buying a ring what I'll do is fork a few grand over to a good cause in my bride-to-be's name. See how she reacts to that.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

A guy once bought me a guitar instead of a ring.
    Spammer Spanker

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    A guy once bought me a guitar instead of a ring.
    now that's a present that would get me excited!

Fender ftw!!

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    only diamond I ever bought was for Kristin. I ate tinned beans for a month to buy that thing. mailed it from overseas for her 21st birthday. F-cking waste of money. I reckon she liked the stuffed sloth I sent her more.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Nothing gets on my nerves more than girls who don't appreciate presents they are given or who become pedantic pointing out how the present could have been better. Makes me lose the urge to ever give them a present again.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Mine's definitely non-conflict, it came from a mine in Canada.

Unless they've started enslaving the native Inuit people up in the frozen North territories, I can assume it's fine.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

You are all aware that this whole diamond BS (guy is SUPPOSED to offer awoman a ring) is a marketing strategy by some clever diamond selling companies that started to place diamond ring-offering scenes in some movies some 4 decades back?

Also, sorry, with marriage - who is doing whom a favour, so who should be giving a diamod ring to whom? :-) ha, ha, ha (joking).

On a personal note, I don't think I'd like to be with a woman who'd be worried whether a diamond something is certified or not.

bluesummer is offline Whatever.
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Marketing strategy or not, to me an engagement ring is a symbol of 'possession' that I don't know that I totally agree with. I have to wear this piece of jewellery on my finger for two years (we wanted to wait awhile for wedding) that basically is there to tell the rest of the world I've been claimed.

Women happily wear their rings, which is why I think they generally cost more. I know far too many married men that don't bother to wear theirs, or take them off in.....certain situations. I also think that men who buy large diamonds for their woman are like a peacock fanning it's tail...."I have THIS woman and I can afford to put THAT on her finger."
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. - Mohandas Gandhi

Mud is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmergirl82 View Post
    I’m sorry if that sounded like spam, but I’m genuinely interested. If anyone wants to help me out, I promise no links or anything… Just looking for some input!
    You seem very honest and sincere but you also seem a little materialistic. To answer your question no, most men could care less about whether a diamond has been certified or not. If given a choice he'd spend more money on his car speakers than a diamond.

Wow, thanks for all the input, you definitely gave me a lot to think about.

My concern about diamond grading is more about responsibility than being shallow... I don't care what grade my diamond gets, I just think that for something so expensive, I feel like you should have documentation of its qualities/value. Kind of like a Carfax, but for a diamond.

Plus, you can use the report to insure your ring, which can help you to get an exact(ish) replacement should anything happen to it.

But it makes sense that most guys wouldn't be immediately concerned about something like this when faced with the daunting task of picking out a ring... and while most "How-to" guides talk about the grading system, not all of them talk about actually getting a diamond graded. Hence me asking.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123