+ Follow This Topic
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: new hair philosophy

i haven't tried that one. the one that works for me suave. i didn't read the ingredients.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

I'll have to look around but I haven't seen Suave here. I did some research online (like you said to!) and everything said not to get products that have -ates in them. Maybe that means they're not water-soluble so you have to use detergent to get them out, which doesn't work with the no-shampoo method. The gel I had been using is ok, it's L'Oreal Invisible FX (not curl-specific) but it's crunchier than the other gel I had and people keep asking me if my hair's wet unless I towel-scrunch it when it's already dry to get the gel-look out. Yuck.

yeah i've heard that too. but it's very difficult to stay away from them. so if you don't shampoo very often it's less likely to do damage. some -ates are stronger than others and some products have more than others. if that cream didn't work for you then try another one. everyone's hair is different and some products work for some and not for others.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesjoyajm View Post
    What kind of leave-in conditioner do you use? And what kind of hair do you have?
    Biolage. My hair is pretty straight, worn as a medium length bob-type style. It just seems to go that way, so I dont fight it anymore.

I rarely use hairspray. Some mousse occasionally if my hair absolutely must stay put.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I love Biolage.
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

I didn't bother reading all of the posts but try a deep condition. When I had long hair I used to really put a lot of effort taking care of it to keep it from getting so frizzy.

I agree washing too frequently will damage as well can make your hair a nightmare to manage in the mornings. So try doing it maybe 3 days a week. Your scalp will be super oily at first but will eventually adjust. I used to deep condition at the end of every week. What I did was bought some little neutrogena small container of conditioner that people rated really well. After shampooing and rinsing out put the stuff in your hair, grab a shower cap and then stick your head under a hair dryer, a hot towel or hot water. Do this for like 15-20 minutes. Once that's done rinse it out in COLD water. Not warm or hot water, but COLD. This basically causes the cuticles to close and keep in the moisture from the conditioner.

This is the stuff I had:
    [url]http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=86558&catid=80576[/url]

Hope that helps ladies.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 14-05-09 at 10:04 AM.

I got my hair cut today :-) I cut it like twice a year, cuz I'm lucky and split ends aren't a big factor for me as long as the water isn't shit.

I have tried to wash my hair every other day, but my bangs always look so greasy, I don't do that a lot. I usually have to switch up how I do it. Like if I use the blow dryer one or two days in a row, I have to let it air dry for a few days, or else my hair starts to act rebellious.

My hair is bone straight naturally and I'm jealous of girls with curly hair! I can't do that unless I use tons of hair spray and a curling iron. And then I look like shirley temple.
    Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world

-Lily Tomlin

Yeah, bangs are killer if you have greasy hair. Or maybe grease is killer if you have bangs. Either way, grease + bangs =

I was going to get a haircut today but I decided I need to give it time to grow. They didn't cut it like I wanted it last time but if I start going every 3 weeks it's going to get shorter instead of longer.

Massive success today with just gel and a "natural" hairdryer - lying out on my balcony with my hair dangling over the edge in direct sunlight for about an hour. Too bad I can't do that every day. It's super curly

I hate it if my hair is sticky. No gels for me, I used to get oily hair too, so I just had to wash it... But now I just rinse with water.
    Don't expect anything.

i got a haircut yesterday and so i took your friends advice and didn't comb it today. i don't know about all that. i kinda have to comb my hair or it looks way out of hand. i bet it would work if you comb it in the shower with conditioner, then rinse and don't comb it after towel drying it... i'm gonna try that.

Just a recommendation, don't brush or comb your hair when it's wet. When your hair is wet is when it's most fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    i got a haircut yesterday and so i took your friends advice and didn't comb it today. i don't know about all that. i kinda have to comb my hair or it looks way out of hand. i bet it would work if you comb it in the shower with conditioner, then rinse and don't comb it after towel drying it... i'm gonna try that.
    That's what I've read mostly. I just don't comb mine because it doesn't need to be combed at all. It's also not nearly as curly as yours. But combing in the shower with conditioner is what I always did when it was longer and before I changed my hair control methods. I think as long as you don't comb it after your shower it's fine.

Edit: haha, seems 1aj and I disagree on that point.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by 1averagejoe View Post
    Just a recommendation, don't brush or comb your hair when it's wet. When your hair is wet is when it's most fragile.
    ???

Only if you hair is made of paper, which it isn't. Hair is made of hard keratin, which is waterproof. Your tooth enamel has this kind of keratin in it.

If you are concerned about your hair, especially if you colour it, then consider rinsing in a mild acid such as vinegar. Alkaline solutions (some kinds of water and bad shampoo) can break down the chemical bonds that make your hair strong. I've also read about grey hair being an accumulation of hydrogen peroxide, which means that things that react to HOOH should help to keep your colour. Dunno if shampoo companies use this in their products, but they should if they don't already.

See, chemistry is your friend, gang.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    ???

Only if you hair is made of paper, which it isn't. Hair is made of hard keratin, which is waterproof. Your tooth enamel has this kind of keratin in it.

If you are concerned about your hair, especially if you colour it, then consider rinsing in a mild acid such as vinegar. Alkaline solutions (some kinds of water and bad shampoo) can break down the chemical bonds that make your hair strong. I've also read about grey hair being an accumulation of hydrogen peroxide, which means that things that react to HOOH should help to keep your colour. Dunno if shampoo companies use this in their products, but they should if they don't already.

See, chemistry is your friend, gang.
    Hair when it's weight = heavier = more tension = easier to break. It's not that difficult to understand. I don't know about you, but when I had longer hair and I brushed/combed when wet, I got A LOT more breakage. If you're going to do it when it's wet, use a wide tooth comb. Do some research on it.

Also there are some pH balanced shampoos.
    Last edited by 1averagejoe; 15-05-09 at 09:44 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast