+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do you know when it's time to cut your losses and move on?

How do you know when it's time to cut your losses and move on?

Hi guys

I'll try and keep this brief. Basically I've been after this girl for about a year now. We've been out numerous times, message/chat regularly, I've met her family and we've generally become quite close but never progressed beyond friends. I've raised the issue of dating several times but she's told me that she just wants to remain single for now. She's a very busy girl and sometimes even works up to 7 days a week but I know that when people say that they really mean "I'm still looking for the right guy and unfortunately, that's not you".

She never flakes, which I appreciate and she does appreciate all the things I do for her. And when we go out, we do have a good time. But it feels like she's in two minds about things. We go through these periods of hot and cold. Like a couple months ago, I had to go away for work and when I got back, she had to go overseas as well. When we eventually saw each other again, she was super happy and we saw each other another 4 times during the same week. When we spend time together, I'll mention all these things we can do and she'll be really keen. I even asked her if she wanted to come along on my next work trip and she agreed. But once we stop seeing each other, she gets really cold and can take up to a day to reply messages.

I'm sick of the hot and cold and can't really see a way out other than to cut things off completely, which I really don't want to do but I don't know how much longer I can take the constant disappointment. I'm afraid I've completely gone about things the wrong way but at the same time, don't want to pretend to be somebody I'm not. Is there any way forward or should I just cut my losses and move on?

FYI I haven't completely stopped dating on her account. I do see other women but I just feel particularly strongly about this one and can see a very real and meaningful relationship there.

If you are chasing this girl for a year and she hasn't shown you any bit of encouragement then I'm afraid its not going anywhere. Regardless if she works 7 day a week if she wanted to be with you she would find a way and would fit her job around you. It seems as if you are just best friends and won't be anything else - not in her eyes anyway. She obviously has a great time with you when you meet up and is comfortable around you plus she also ignores your texts every now and again because she knows when she replies (eventually) you will still be there for her - that is what best friends do.
    You will never be able to concentrate on a relationship with another woman until you get over her. You have two choices stay with her as your friend and spend time with her or cut your losses if you find it difficult to be around her without it moving on to a relationship.

How do you know when it's time to cut your losses and move on?

When you ask that question.

She told you she doesn't want a relationship. What part of that don't you understand?
    Some people are drains and some are radiators... Keep clear of the drains and hug the radiators!