+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriend is depressed!

Girlfriend is depressed!

Hi everyone!

Okay so basically I have been with my girlfriend for about 2 months now - been friends for about a year though. Recently over the last 4 weeks she has been dealing with a lot of crap, her parents might be getting divorced, her dog has been put down and various other things. She confessed to me the other day that she is feeling really depressed and has been to the doctors and he's on a case of anti-depressant pills. She is possibly one of the strongest people I know and such an amazing bubbly person so seeing her like this is horrible. What I want to know is how can I be there to support her? It's very difficult because she seems slightly disjointed from everything and had she not told me she was depressed I'd seriously be thinking that there was something wrong with our relationship because at the minute she's not as affectionate as usual (she did assure me that it's nothing to do with me). Her dog was put down yesterday and she was extremely upset and made me promise that I'd be with her last night - so I went over with lots of sweets and some comedies to cheer her up.

Regardless of whether me and her were together or not she is such a fantastic person and seeing her like this is killing me. If any of you ladies were in her position what would you like your boyfriend to do?

Any advice you could offer would be superb - thanks in advance.

Berg, all you can do is just be there. Don't force conversation, but be open to her talking to you. At the same time, don't push her to talk if she doesn't want to. Food and a movie was a great idea, just do simple things like that, be present, and be accepting of her mood.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley