+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriend seems depressed

Chris660 Guest

Girlfriend seems depressed

Been in a steady relationship with this girl for 2 years now. I'd say up until about 3-4 weeks ago, she's been a bubbly, cherry, upity type of girl. Always seems happy, always smiles, always happy to talk to me, etc.

Recently she had some tough luck. She had to drop both of her classes in college because she was failing (she's an A/B student). Plus, she lives with her brother and it turns out he owes her a good amount of money. And she doesn't have a copious income and is struggling to get by. And now, this week her car broke down and she needs a new starter, which is going to cost her close to $250.

I've always been able to make her laugh and make her feel good or better about herself. But now when I talk to her on the phone, she sounds miserable. And when we get together, she seems like she's unhappy. I try to reassure her everything is going to be ok, but it seems like she doesn't want to hear it. It's almost like she doesn't care anymore. It's weird....one day she seems back to normal, then the next time I see her she's ready to jump off a building or something.

I've brought up the fact she's been acting weird and keep asking if she's ok about 4 times now. But each time she just keeps saying that she's having some rough times and she's a little down. I asked her if she was upset with anything I did, but she keeps saying it has nothing to do with me. But she's the type that won't tell you what's wrong and keeps thing bottled up inside. So I feel like a police detective trying to crack a suspect when I talk to her.

I love her a lot and she's one of the few genuinely kind-hearted people on this Earth. But I feel like I'm in a dilema here. If I keep asking her, she's gonna get pissed and shut down on me completely. But if I ignore it, it may just keep up and I don't like to see her like this.

Anyone ever experienced something similar like this in a relationship. How did you handle it? Should I keep pressing or just ignore things and hope she gets better?

Been with her for 2 years, is there anyway for you to assist her get out of this slump? Almost a 250 dollar starter? What kind of car is this?

Dropping classes in school can have a really negative effect on people, do you know why she was failing?
    Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools.

Napoleon I

Chris660 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LightOn
    Been with her for 2 years, is there anyway for you to assist her get out of this slump? Almost a 250 dollar starter? What kind of car is this?

Dropping classes in school can have a really negative effect on people, do you know why she was failing?
    it's a 1991 Nissan Stanza. $250 total for the starter and labor.

She had two hard classes. Organic Chemistry and Advanced Calculus. The advanced calc was an online class that she had trouble with. The organic chem she wasn't failing......but even if she got a 100% on the final, she would've got a C. Since Pharmacy is her major she couldn't accept getting a C in a chemistry class.....it looks bad when you go to transfer.

Between working full-time, school, she does all the cooking/cleaning/food shopping/wash/& other household chores....we only get to see each other once a week. She said that she put personal stuff before her schoolwork and that was her mistake. I don't know if she was referring to us or not. It's been an overall rocky relationship in the past couple months.

call me a pessimist, but i'd bet you guys are going to take a "break" sometime shortly. I def went through this same exact situation, but hopefully im wrong and she snaps out of it.