+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion

Religion

OK, time for some threads of thought.

How important is religion to you? How important is it that your partner share your religious beliefs, to some extent.

For me, I would not consider marrying a non Christian. They do not have to be a Bible thumper, but must share my belief to worship Christ, and raise our children Christian.

So for me, a women's devotion to Christ is important to me.

How do you feel about this? Is it important to you?

Not for Christians only, but whatever faith, or non-faith you practice? Must your partner share your beliefs?
    HEY I'M A PILOT
    HEY LLOYD, I'm a pilot

I don't necessarily care if my partner shares my exact religious beliefs, so long as he doesn't embrace another one (in other words, I am okay with agnostics and atheists, but not extreme forms of religious observance), and I agree it is best to marry someone who is basically like-minded with regards to religion if you plan to reproduce.

Every married couple I know has changed religious beliefs from season to season. My brother in law was an atheist at one time, now he’s a devout Christian. By real brother was catholic at one time and now he is basically protestant. I was raised Catholic but am learning about Greek Orthodox and am thinking of going there instead.

I have never dated a Catholic woman (same religion I am). I am a firm believer that if one is not of a cultist mindset and open to logic and discourse than all things are possible. But the bible (my religion) does say not to take wives of pagan religions. But few religions today I would classify as truly pagan. And taking a wife and dating are two different things.

If you really like someone and you know your religion and can use logic to persuade someone about religion then I have had no problem convincing other people about Christian beliefs. So, when I have dated people of different religions, when things got serious then usually they would at that time have similar beliefs as I did about religion. I have found that the better you know your own religion the better people are willing to accept it as their own. But it has never been an overriding issue. Most of the time I had to move before things really got too far along.

So no, my partner must not initially share my beliefs, but over time most of them do anyway and if I were to marry then at least Christianity might be an issue.
    Last edited by Hugo Pickle; 13-01-06 at 02:34 PM.

I believe that, as a Christian, it would be sinful to marry a "Non Christian"

I know these things get boo-hoo'd around here but I wonder the following?

How many Christian couples get divorced?
    (I would say just as many as non)

How many couples, that were both virgins when married, get divorced?
    (I would say fewer, just a guess).

What are the statistics for child success in a dual parent Christian home?

And for you Christians out there, would you Marry a Non-Christian? Like I said, I would not.

I am not Bible thumper, and rarely go to Church, but I am a devout Christian. Does not mean I am perfect, or that I lead an perfect life, but that I believe in Christ. With that in mind, I require a Christian women!

Just some food for thought.
    HEY I'M A PILOT
    HEY LLOYD, I'm a pilot

I don't consider atheism a religion. I don't have a religion. I can see how religion can become an issue in a relationship but I think reasonable people will come up with common solution for each other.
    "Why are you an atheist?"
    "because I paid attention in science class."

Blue, I'm sorry I can't quote the exact verse, but in the Bible it does say to not exclude non-believers because you could be the one to lead them to Christ....and if you really loved someone...wouldn't that be an amazing wittness?

I myself grew up deeply involved in the Methodist church. Father, Grandfather and Great-GrandFather were all ministers. I have an unshakable belief in God, but I have alot of problems with organized religion...and so,,,rarely attend church. I live a wiccian lifestyle..use herbs and such...God given natural things...in Corinthians it says to celebrate your spiritual gifts...so I do.

Marriage...failed greatly....married twice...one Methodist, second Catholic...went to church with both....gotta go to work...
    If you don't talk to your cat about Catnip...who will?

I read this thing once about marriage and divorce...through statistics and demographis information over many years, it identified three things that DRAMATICALLY increases the liklihood of divorce: interracial marriages, large age difference between partners, and differering religious/spiritual beliefs.

so yeah...it seems to be quite important for most people, whether they thought so or not...

I'm a Christian. I've been going to church a couple times a year but I no longer work Sundays so I hope to go at least a little more. I have faith but my faith does not dictate I need to go to church every week to be saved. Anyway; I prefer to date people who have faith in 'God' I really dont enjoy the thought of my loved one not going to heaven. But they don't have to be of the complete same beliefs; I dont feel there is one true path. Take my girlfriend now for example...She belongs to a group of what I hesitantly call 'Wackos' in my head. They believe in a bunch of 'spirituality' mombo-jumbo that seems kinda funky to me. But they do seem to believe in a 'God' so I just try and keep my distance and be happy.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

The proselytizing aspect of fundamentalist Christianity is the very thing that would prevent me from dating one of those types of Christians, and although I am not looking to shake anyone's faith in Jesus, I have yet to hear anyone give me a good enough logical reason for believing in Christian ideology. And yes, I am quite knowledgeable about religion and am very involved in religious life. I don't believe in Hell for sure, and Heaven I only recognize as a lovely wish.

If you really want logical reasons for the belief in Christ and God then you will read the works of Thomas Aquinas, and Socrates argument on death. Also Baltasar Gracian has some good logic.

Socrates predates Christianity.

Yes, but his argument on death points to an after life of judgement as the only viable option for existence which is why the greeks and romans believed in gods and a version of heaven and hell.

It is also why the greeks and romans were so eisily converted to jewish and christian beliefs

I am not that religious so I don't care whether my partner is. I notice people who commit crimes so often and they're these people who are considered very religious. My feeling is that you shouldn't ask for forgivness if it's just because you do so many wrong things in life. I rather be a good person and not be religious than be one of those who is so religious and is true evil. Even if i may not agree, I respect other people's beliefs whatever they may be.
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Pickle
    Yes, but his argument on death points to an after life of judgement as the only viable option for existence which is why the greeks and romans believed in gods and a version of heaven and hell.

It is also why the greeks and romans were so eisily converted to jewish and christian beliefs
    I am familiar with his work, but it doesn't support Christianity. It simply supports belief in an afterlife.

Asip - if you wer older, you would be datable.

Quote Originally Posted by shh!
    I am familiar with his work, but it doesn't support Christianity. It simply supports belief in an afterlife.

Asip - if you wer older, you would be datable.
    Come on shh!, age is just a number
    -to be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.- e.e.cummings

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast