+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How should I handle this?

How should I handle this?

Allow me to explain a bit first. I'm in my first relationship (I'm 18), we met near the start of november, hit it off and we've been going out for about 5 weeks now. However she has a bit of a history of depression, and she's said many times that christmas is her least fave time of year because of stuff that's happened in her past. This year she also lost her christmas hours at work to someone else (she was very upset about that). Over the past week or so she's been quite distant, and rarely replys when I text her. She's been like this with her friends as well. I've only been able to see her for <2 hours this week, and won't see her again until at least next thursday. I was talking to her today about the whole thing (via text though) and she seemed in a really bad way. She says she has a lot of thinking to do and needs to reassess what she needs and wants in life. At one point in the conversation (due to a misunderstanding of what one of my texts meant, I hope) she simply said "Friends?". I was shocked and thinking that it was just her depression this time of year I offered her space and a few days to think it over and I sent her a *hug*, to which she replied "Aw, i jst wana giv u da bigest hug evr". I wanted nothing more than to be able to see her at that point, and now I'm driving myself crazy. I may have rambled a bit in there, but I really really like her (I had low self esteem and never asked a girl out because of it, but I really felt a particular connection with her and I just had to). What I'm really looking for here is advice. What should I do now? Wait 2-3 days then contact her again? Is our relationship really ok? It's tough to call I know, but she does have a depressive nature sometimes. I really don't know what to do...

If it's still like this when she gets off work next week I'm going to talk to her face to face, even if it means walking to her town and popping in uninvited. I really don't want to break up with her, I like her too much and she's normally a very upbeat person (even more so than me) but this is the first time I've seen her this bad and she's said herself she hates this time of year....