+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Singing

Singing

Yeah, I realize it's a pretty non-manly hobby, but I guess so are, amung other things (cooking and art).

But seriously, this time i've really taken a liking to singing & music in general. It all started when two friends of mine who are both very musically talented came over my house to hang out one night, and they started singing in my back-yard. It was great, very relaxing, guitar, piano, and two very talented voices, when I realized, I wanted to be a part of that.

I dunno.. I guess i've always felt like I was very boring, like there was nothing fun to me, so this was something simple, yet something that I could do socially too. Like, I could always call a musician party together, and socially play music and sing, it was fun.

Anyway, so I tried singing, and obviously it was a disaster, (to say I sucked would be an understatement). It was just so horrible, that I felt sad and depressed for weeks. But i'm not giving up, I really want to do this, no matter how much I suffer.

So, i've made it my goal to learn to sing, play the piano, and the guitar. I know, it's a bar set rather up there, but I'm determined to do it. I am however, very musically challenged/retarded. So I was wondering if anyone here has tried this sort of thing before, or if anyone actually sings or plays an instrument (not including the hairy banjo) and can share some of their experiences from how it was starting out, and how the journey was along the way to finally being good at it.

Much thanks in advance.

Last edited by GrkScorp; 02-10-07 at 12:11 PM.
    If you can't stop the Wind, then you can't stop the Storm.

just do it.

sing. get an instrument and learn how to play it.

about 15 (omg) years ago i decided the same thing and i'm proficient and piano, guitar, and voice.

it just takes practice. if you love to do it it won't be hard.
    baby ya hustle. but me i hustle harder.

Quote Originally Posted by misombra View Post
    just do it.

sing. get an instrument and learn how to play it.

about 15 (omg) years ago i decided the same thing and i'm proficient and piano, guitar, and voice.

it just takes practice. if you love to do it it won't be hard.
    How hard was in the beginning to learn it all.. especially voice.. like.. for piano and guitar.. i'm not worried, caz they are both digital instruments.. so.. if I learn the chords.. i can play... but like.. How hard was it at first to learn music, to ear train, and to learn to control & develop your voice? How long did it take? How many hours of beating yourself & self-loathing did u have to endure?

you have to have patience with yourself, and understand that you're not going to be jimmy page over night.

it takes time and practice.

i didn't take any lessons or anything, but i learned as much as i could from other people. you have to listen and pay attention, and then put it into practice.

if you keep practicing, you'll keep noticing yourself getting better.

i didn't endure any self-loathing and neither should you.

practice. respect those that know more than you. have patience with yourself.

you can do anything based on that.

oh your questions lol...

How hard was it at first to learn music- it was challenging, but the longer you keep up with it, the better you get...

to ear train- that comes naturally when you learn music...

and to learn to control & develop your voice- i've been singing since i was a small child, so it wasn't hard. i'm still learning and developing. that's the thing about music, it's endless.

How long did it take? How many hours of beating yourself & self-loathing did u have to endure?

like i said before, i'm still learning.

you have to have patience with yourself, and understand that you're not going to be jimmy page over night.

it takes time and practice.

i didn't take any lessons or anything, but i learned as much as i could from other people. you have to listen and pay attention, and then put it into practice.

if you keep practicing, you'll keep noticing yourself getting better.

i didn't endure any self-loathing and neither should you.

practice. respect those that know more than you. have patience with yourself.

you can do anything based on that.
    I guess it's a new approach to learning alltogether..

See.. Learning Math, Statistics, Economics, Accounting, and then Law and even Cooking... you sort of study, and learn, on the spot, almost instantly, and you either get it, or you don't.

So, comming from those backrounds, I guess I get very scarred when I don't get it at first.. because it almost makes me feel like i'm not cut out for it, or that it's not working. But I guess you're right.. it's one of those things that will take time, and won't happen in a matter of 1 week. Thanks.

I don't want to bother any of my friends over this. And I don't want to sing like professionally or anything, just for fun, with them, or during holidays when there are kids around, it's fun. But i guess i'll start looking to someone to hire to teach me.. or maybe sign up for a course or class at some local college/university.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Your voice doesn't have to be beautiful; you just have to be able to carry a tune. (Have you listened to the music on the radio?) If you can't carry a tune, I don't know if/how you can learn that...

As for the guitar or piano - practice.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Your voice doesn't have to be beautiful; you just have to be able to carry a tune. (Have you listened to the music on the radio?) If you can't carry a tune, I don't know if/how you can learn that...

As for the guitar or piano - practice.
    lol.. thanks vash... love the shoes btw.. very sexy..

Quote Originally Posted by GrkScorp View Post
    I

See.. Learning Math, Statistics, Economics, Accounting, and then Law and even Cooking... you sort of study, and learn, on the spot, almost instantly, and you either get it, or you don't.
    music is a lot like all those things.

have you ever heard this quote?

a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

-confucius

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Thanks!

Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Thanks!

you know.. i'll have to take a new pic just for you, misombra & gigabitch... i'll post it on the gallery... i guess i'll hold a little flash-card or something.. lol

ur like my favorite 3 users from back in the day..

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good idea! Post a picture. Too bad you can't attach a video of yourself singing...

Good idea! Post a picture. Too bad you can't attach a video of yourself singing...
    yeah.. i don't want to get banned for having all the people on loveforum leave the site after I post a video of something like that... but after I can actually sing.. i'll do so... what's funny is I spent like $400 on a condenser microphone.. and I can't even sing yet.. lol

you can look on google for singing techniques.

some of the more important are pushing air from your diaphragm and imagining air in your head.

also following a good singer who's in your range is good. you have to find out what your range is. do you sing low? high? in between?

you can look on google for singing techniques.

some of the more important are pushing air from your diaphragm and imagining air in your head.

also following a good singer who's in your range is good. you have to find out what your range is. do you sing low? high? in between?
    well.. so far.. the only thing I can sing, is "Music of the Night" and I sing it really well, because i've pretty much got a hang on falsetto... and my voice has quite a bit of natural bass to it.. so my projection is naturally good... but everything still needs work.. i'm still not 100% happy with how I sound.. and I'd like to sing other songs besides that... I know it's only been 1 week.. so it'll take time..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast