+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would A Female like being called "pretty" on 1st impression

Would A Female like being called "pretty" on 1st impression

I'm contrasting this on a lot of diff forums...and ppl tell me that calling a girl pretty is coming on too strong for a first impression. Here's my situation...there's this girl I only know briefly and I want to ask her for her phone #...so I thought I would go up to her and say "Ive been meaning to tell you this for awhile, I just think you're very pretty, and I would like to get your number for I can get to know you better" Does that seem like too much of a strong impression?

I think it would be a mistake to tell her she's pretty and immediately ask for her number.

Well do I want to ask her for her phone # first..so i should leave the pretty out?

I just don't get why, to me I think it sounds perfect

hold the emotions in for a sec, I would take pretty as just "pretty" typical thing females might hear from a dude.

Quote Originally Posted by T1meChange View Post
    I'm contrasting this on a lot of diff forums...and ppl tell me that calling a girl pretty is coming on too strong for a first impression. Here's my situation...there's this girl I only know briefly and I want to ask her for her phone #...so I thought I would go up to her and say "Ive been meaning to tell you this for awhile, I just think you're very pretty, and I would like to get your number for I can get to know you better" Does that seem like too much of a strong impression?
    if i were the girl, i might think that you are just interested in appearance. superficial.

It sounds like you want her number because she is pretty. Do you have any other reason to ask for her number?

Yes please leave pretty out of it in this context.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Tedel Guest
    Curious, how can I see if the girl is, besides pretty, interesting, intelligent... etc if I don't ask for her number?

I think that's perfect. I would love if guys would ask me like that. When they approach me, they usually say, "Would you like to get together sometime? or Would you like to go for a cup of coffee or dinner? I wish if they would tell me that I am pretty and that they would like to get to know me better. I think that, since you are asking somebody out or anybody to do something for you, you should state the reason for asking, such as you did, which is great, in my opinion. Not, would you like to go for a cup of coffee or something...and then if you don't want to, you have to make up a lame excuse of how busy you are and in that way, be dishonest...which is fine with me, but some people do not like that, which makes you a bad person then...sad, but true...simple, irrelevant details, but it can hurt somebody...so do tell her like that

i'd immediately say no, simply because he said 'pretty' and nothing about me. if he said i was funny or interesting i'd be hooked
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

Quote Originally Posted by ecojeanne View Post
    i'd immediately say no, simply because he said 'pretty' and nothing about me. if he said i was funny or interesting i'd be hooked
    How would someone know you're funny and interesting before they've even spoken to you. The OP, from what I understood, was talking about an initial approach.

Plus, you have to be funny and interesting for someone to call you funny and interesting.
    I don't chase, I replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    How would someone know you're funny and interesting before they've even spoken to you. The OP, from what I understood, was talking about an initial approach.

Plus, you have to be funny and interesting for someone to call you funny and interesting.
    hehe thanks, i know i'm not appreciated on here

well i would assume he has spoken to her, i wouldn't give my number to someone i had never spoken to.
    Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching

hehe thanks, i know i'm not appreciated on here

well i would assume he has spoken to her, i wouldn't give my number to someone i had never spoken to.
    He said he's known her briefly. There's no telling how long briefly is.
    I don't chase, I replace.

If that's all he tells me before asking for my number then I am not giving it to him. I just smile and decline politely. I need to be interested, too.

Question for the men: How would you feel if you saw a female give her number to another man after he only states that she is pretty?

Don't you guys realize that women get this all the time? You have to say something else in order to get the number. Feel free to tell her how pretty she is AFTER getting her number.

OP just ask for her number if you cannot think of anything else to say. Saying that she is pretty makes us feel awkward.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by katya View Post
    I think that's perfect. I would love if guys would ask me like that. When they approach me, they usually say, "Would you like to get together sometime? or Would you like to go for a cup of coffee or dinner? I wish if they would tell me that I am pretty and that they would like to get to know me better. I think that, since you are asking somebody out or anybody to do something for you, you should state the reason for asking, such as you did, which is great, in my opinion. Not, would you like to go for a cup of coffee or something...and then if you don't want to, you have to make up a lame excuse of how busy you are and in that way, be dishonest...which is fine with me, but some people do not like that, which makes you a bad person then...sad, but true...simple, irrelevant details, but it can hurt somebody...so do tell her like that
    Really? I guess it depends on the setting. Usually I am out running errands. It sounds nice if he was only giving a compliment and not asking for my number. Saying that she is pretty is not an issue. It's his reason for asking. Aren't all girls pretty? Just ask for the number if you can't think of anything else to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post

I would rather he gain an interest in me due to my personality than my looks. I do understand that looks is the main thing that drives a man to ask for her number. That's the point. All girls are pretty. Damn, do I have low self esteem or something and need a boost? Once I give the number, he's going to tell me that anyways, I hope.

BUT, I would decline if I was not already interested in him. My ex just came up to me and asked me for my number. He was a complete gentlemen. I already knew that it was my looks that must have caught his attention since we have never spoken to each other until he asked for my number. He was very attractive (lol=pretty) so I was already interested in him.

The point is that we already know it's about looks. There's no need to say that.

WAIT!!! How old are you TimeChange? I ask because I can imagine a teen fantasizing and doing girly things because a dude called her 'pretty'. An older woman would not be that easy to get. She likes to hear that from a man she knows.
    Last edited by lesa; 03-10-08 at 04:26 AM.

I find it better to get a conversation going about an interest or an event in the news, or
    something interesting that she hasn't heard before and see how she responds.

Do we really have to say someone is pretty? If we like their personality, does it matter for them to hear that?

I know lots of attractive women that would draw my attention to talk to
    them, but once you got to know them, they weren't as attractive from
    your first impression as you thought when they opened their mouth or
    had no insight because they had something to hide.
    Last edited by Kromat; 03-10-08 at 04:33 AM.

" Nothing is a waste of time, if you use the experience wisely."
    => Auguste Rodin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast