+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do guys care more about what their partner looks like than girls do?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodtippedrose View Post
    Okay you said that you've been posting in forums for ten years and if you're in your early 30's, that means in your early 20's you were on forums! Now you're contradicting yourself.
    Uhm, yeah....isn't 22, the early twenties?? That is when my ex husband bought me the pc and I'd log on...and I've been logging on since. I spend a lot of time online, because my profession is web and graphic design and I frequent other places inbetween....like this lovely place for instance

Also the act of having a child is nothing to be proud of, anyone can do it. I am smart enough to use birth control.
    As for marriage, the option for me is open but I think 21 years of age is a little young to make such a big commitment. I don't want to end up regretting it, I take vows a little more seriously than that.
    Didn't need to use birth control love...my child was planned and wanted and is my world

Getting married young, isn't something I regret, it would be to regret having my daughter otherwise. In the course of the marriage there were some really, really good times and some bad times....the same with a lot of marriages really. Very few will be 'perfect'.....

We all walk into our marriages with the best intentions, we all take the vows seriously and no matter at what stage of life we marry. But nothing in life other than death and taxes can be predicted and what we least expected to happen, can and sometimes does happen.

Whatever I have been through, bears no reflection on who or what I am today though. I'm quite a forgiving person who rarely holds grudges. I never dwell upon the bad, nor allow things to get me down, but view it that sometimes things are just not meant to be, shit can and does happen...but life goes on regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by xxazurexx View Post

If I'd had to sit in a forum when I was your age, I'd have hung myself.
    So you would have hung yourself if you were sitting on forums when you were 21 but one year later it makes all the difference?

I spend a lot of time online, because my profession is web and graphic design and I frequent other places inbetween....like this lovely place for instance
    Im a full time student in graphic design. Thats why I spend all day on a computer.

I have been through, bears no reflection on who or what I am today though.
    you'd have to elaborate this for me. Our pasts shape who we are today.

That`s a weird question. Does the sun settle in the west?...

I don't think it's a matter of men vs. women, but a matter of individuals. Everything in this world is relative. How we interpret the way someone looks, or someone acts, or the things someone says is directly related to our own experiences, emotions, and thoughts. If you've been cheated on multiple times, you will most likely have a very negative view of relationships. That doesn't mean you are wrong to feel that way, but it does mean that an experience you had has affected and possibly changed you. This can happen positively and negatively.

I sometimes find myself stereotyping. For example, there is a particular neighborhood in San Diego called Pacific Beach or "PB". When you go to PB you'll typically find "douche bag" stereotypes wearing board shorts, tattoos, flip flops and polo t-shirts, or walking around shirtless. The girls all have tramp stamps, cut-off short shorts, bikinis, and huge designer shades and stick straight hair. These are stereotypes. Based on my experiences with people who dress like this, I don't like these people. They seem to be prone to drinking until they pass out, and spouting vapid ramblings. Does this mean they are all like that? No. But like I said, I've had many experiences that lead me to believe I should avoid those people altogether.

Men are generally stereotyped as being the more "visual" sex, and it is said they can feel aroused just from looking at an attractive female. The flip side is that while women may notice a good looking man, she doesn't feel that same spark of arousal unless she knows there is more to the guy than how he looks.

Honestly, I very rarely find any male to be strikingly handsome. My boyfriend struck me as otherworldly gorgeous when I first saw him, and it just so happened that he had a remarkable personality as well. Lucky lucky find. I never go out to bars or clubs or anywhere and see a man that stops me dead in my tracks. And I have dated men that pale in comparison to my current boyfriend. One guy was rather skinny, with very little upper body build, but I fell in love with his personality and the positive things I found in his looks. Another ex of mine was on the heavier side and likewise his personality hooked me, and the physical attributes that I really loved shined through automatically.

It seems that in order to feel interested and STAY interested long enough to get to know a woman, a guy has to be visually stimulated, meaning he has to be attracted to her. If she can't hold his attention visually, he will never talk to her. HOWEVER, this situation changes if two people are thrown together in a situation that encourages them to engage for reasons other than finding each other physically attractive. If you're in a club, or a bar, a guy is most likely only going to approach you if he finds you physically attractive. Those settings don't exactly cultivate the desire for deep, personal discussions.

All my boyfriends had something very different about them and were never traditionally good looking.

That's why I think your taste in love is very much related to your own personality.

For example, I've always like anything different...always been drawn to the odd choice...

My first bfriend had a freakish face I think, with big tender but bulky eyes ( a bit like a frog)...I loved him dearly...

My other significant bfriend I don't think he ever had a waist...beer belly...a third nipple and one of his ear was like chewed on...

I am now attracted to a man I wish would be taller although he is taller than me...I wish he were slightly younger too but despite all the doubts I find him hugely attractive...

I am also usually turned on by voices...I don't know if men are the same about that...I could date a man just based on the sound of his voice!!!!
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

I'd like a potential partner to be attractive enough to want to have sex with. I don't know if that helps or not.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Men care more about looks than women. For two reasons:

1. Biological wiring.

2. Status.

because men derive status from the attractiveness of their partner. Women don't so much. Women derive status from their own attractiveness.

If a woman is with a male of much lesser attractiveness, people will generally assume it's because he has a great personality or is rich.

If a man is with a woman of substantially lesser attractiveness people generally think it's because he's a loser, and he can't do better.

Conversley, if a guy is with a girl more attractive than he is, people assume he's a bit of a legend.
    Last edited by Charlie Boy II; 10-06-10 at 09:14 PM.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

no, not at all i don't think so

qwertz is offline Chav hater
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    well, im not going to date a munter.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    haha, and nor should you Qwert.

Did you end up going out with that guy from the gym?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    No, i cancelled on him. I'm thinking this is the start of a drought...again!! All the good looking guys are either gay or not interested!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I always thought droughts were a guy thing. I had a shocking drought last year. It was quite disconcerting.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Im not to bothered about the dating thing, but women have needs too

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Boy II View Post
    Men care more about looks than women. For two reasons:

1. Biological wiring.

2. Status.

because men derive status from the attractiveness of their partner. Women don't so much. Women derive status from their own attractiveness.

If a woman is with a male of much lesser attractiveness, people will generally assume it's because he has a great personality or is rich.

If a man is with a woman of substantially lesser attractiveness people generally think it's because he's a loser, and he can't do better.

Conversley, if a guy is with a girl more attractive than he is, people assume he's a bit of a legend.
    this makes sense to me, never thought of it like that before

To be honest, I only crush on beautiful women with beautiful features.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast