+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I have a problem with my appetite

I have a problem with my appetite

I love eating junk food, especially pepperoni pizza, cheeseburgers, and sugary foods. Unfortunately my metabolism is not especially high, so my frequent eating has led me to weigh 260 lbs. I am not happy about this at all, but I have a difficult time controlling my urge to eat junk food, and I don't like the taste of most "healthy" foods like vegetables or granola bars. Is there a way I can restrain my eating and lose weight?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Lap band surgery.

or gastric bypass, but I prefer the lap band surgery because it has fewer complications.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

This advice I'm giving... is probably not very helpful at all. But you need to find the WILL to stop eating so much. The ONLY way you can lose weight, and become healthy is to exercise more than you eat. Counting calories would be a good start. If you can't help but eat a lot, move more. I'm not saying you're not allowed to eat much, but you have to work for it as well. Do more, eat less if you want. Average girl needs 2000 calories a day, while guys need 2200 calories. If you eat more than that, do more exercise.

All of the above would be useless unless you TRY. Have the will and set your mind to it. That's the ONLY way you can help yourself. I'm trying myself too. Lost 10kg past 2 months. 15 more till I'm average. So, good luck

Go get some counseling about that great big hole in your life you're trying to fill with food.
    Spammer Spanker

Are there any Overeaters Annoymous programs in your area? I would check into that.

I think you need to find the healthy things that do taste good to you...there are things out there especially now that its summer with all these fresh fruits and veggies. I think once you get the taste for the sugary junk foods out of your system you find that you don't crave that stuff anymore as frequently.

Join an intramural sport, if you keep busy you won't be sitting around snacking as much.

Good luck!
    So, so you think you can tell Heaven from Hell,
    blue skies from pain.
    Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
    A smile from a veil?
    Do you think you can tell?
    And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?
    Hot ashes for trees?
    Hot air for a cool breeze?
    Cold comfort for change?
    And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabitch View Post
    Go get some counseling about that great big hole in your life you're trying to fill with food.
    Even if this sounds like an ass-answer, it actually makes much sense..

Quote Originally Posted by the_robot View Post
    Even if this sounds like an ass-answer, it actually makes much sense..
    My ass-answer would have been "get off your ass", more along the lines of what Toxic106 said.
    Spammer Spanker

It's mind over matter, develop some self-control. There are exercises you can do, put a pizza beside some spinach, eat the spinach instead.

That said, I bet you would lose 20lbs if the ONLY liquid you drank was water and ONE glass of skim milk a day. Coke (even diet or 'zero') will make you fat very, very quickly. I've had 2 cokes in 30 days as a reward and they tasted SOOOO good, versus drinking coke 10 times a day and not appreciating it.

It's not something you are born with, its something you develop. I smoked for 9 years and quit cold turkey one day around 30 days ago, I leave a pack of smokes on my desk and a pack in my car so they are always in vision to continually tempt me, its the only way to quit something. I don't recommend this until you develop your self-control. I've also lost 21lbs in 30 days and I was barely overweight. I'm ~5lbs from my 6 pack popping back out. After the ex that derailed my life I'm about to go back into kickboxing. As we speak there is a bag of doritos beside my computer that have sat there for 27 days. I'm hungry right now but I can just tell myself to ignore the temptations. A big glass of water and a handful of spinach is about 999x better for my body and will tell my brain just as well that I'm no longer hungry.

I mean, I have a TERRIBLE metabolism and a 'fat-packing' body but ALL I eat is spinach, turkey, shrimp, whitefish, and protein shakes (with spinach and cottage cheese). All I drink is water... .... and far too many beer. If it wasn't for the beer my abs would already be popping out. When I was with my ex people made fun of me for being fat (at 197lbs I had chubby cheeks and a double chin) now I'm getting complimented on my body at the beach and such.

Figure out how many calories a day you need. Probably not more than ~3000 as at 260lbs you can't be too active. Cut that by 500 calories (that's like TWO cokes) and you will lose 1 lbs a week without doing ANY work.
    Add in a bit of exercise and you can shred almost all of your 'over'weight in a year (literally).

It's not difficult, don't complicate things. Eat healthy and live healthy and you will fall into a healthy wait.

I LOVE spinach. I eat it raw with absolutely no dressing. Do you think I was born with this preference? Obviously not, but you can train your mind to do or like anything. Hell, the other day I ate boiled cow intestine and stomach lining just to prove I could.

Here, I'll do some work for you...

Eat 5-6 times a day. Every 2 to 3 hours. But eat the correct portions. What's the correct portion? If it fits in the palm of your hand. Eat healthy things:
    Shrimp
    Celery
    Natural peanut butter
    Whitefish
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    etc.
    You learn to like these foods, you own your own mind and you can tell it what to like. For the first week of proper eating you might feel hungry all of the time (your not, your mind is just used to over indulging) after that week your stomach will shrink to the proper size and suddenly you'll be filled up by less food.

BTW: Most healthy foods in the grocery store are NOT healthy. Granola bars? terrible for you because they are packed full of sugar to make people enjoy the taste.
    Last edited by Cosmo; 25-06-10 at 10:25 AM.
    Women... They smell nice but they are soul murderers. - William Murderface

Lap band surgery? WTH, don't get that. It's the way to hell. Set some boundaries for yourself and start running and working out everyday. As with everything in life, you'll get used to it and you'll be much healthier & will feel better.

You've done the first step, you must now undergo the second and the next ones.
    It's actually quite a relief, that all you have to have, is willpower. Because you don't have to think of a variety of "magical" solutions, which will prove not to work.

Remember, every time you settle, you'll get exactly what you settled for. Don't get turned off by occasional disasters (overeating once in a week, or 2 weeks or so), always start mantaining your health and weight again. I got rid of 30 lbs, which isn't as much as you need, but everything will come eventually. And you'll get used to the food also, when you discover, how healthy you can feel. Everytime I eat some junkfood now, I just cringe at how awful it makes me feel, even if it's a little. So you will be comfortable while doing this, after a while, don't be afraid.

BTW I feel you, I've been to USA and the eating habits are a disaster there. Your "middle" cup of ice-cream is our "Obnoxiously-big" (I live in the middle of Europe). Also other portions of food in restaurants are enormous, don't give in to the temptation. Take the responsibility for what you eat, you want a load of proteins, some sugar and a little fat. The more natural the food is (less complicated, like no 3 sauces etc.), the healthier.

I wish you good luck ofc

Look for tasty food recipes. Healthy food can taste good too.