+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Purpose of life,... In your Opinions

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"

Purpose of life,... In your Opinions

yeah i caught slight cold from all my drinking, and here i am bored again. however, what is the meaning of life in your opinions??

we get up, work, do various chores, have dinner and then go back to sleep. again tomorrow, we will repeat this process for the rest of our lives. if we are lucky, this day to day routine is broken by various outings and events, yet for the most part, our lives runs in the same pattern year after year.

with that in mind, i'm freaking bored of it. i do spend a lot of time with my family and friends and we do have a lot of good times, but what is the actual meaning of life? growing older to raise our children in hoping that they live a better life than us? yes in the process we put numerous wear and tear on our body for the sake of sacrificing for others?

so in the end, what do you live for, or what is your take on "life"??

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

This thread is stupid.

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    man kind is also stupid, but we just have to suck it up and live with it.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Sonrisa is offline Gwynplaine
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Waiting for cops at almost one am
    mo'Dajvo' pa'wIjDaq je narghpu' He'So'bogh SajlIj

For most, it is like a cycle...
    work,eat,sleep..
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

The meaning of my life is connecting with others - and perhaps collaborating with them on worthwhile things.

There is no meaning to life, it just is and then we die, enjoy what you can suffer as little as possible and when its over it is...congratulations on living your insignificant life...when you pass perhaps a few people will miss you, after they die nobody will care or recall your foot touched the earth.

....insignificance.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Quote Originally Posted by dewilliams2 View Post
    There is no meaning to life, it just is and then we die, enjoy what you can suffer as little as possible and when its over it is...congratulations on living your insignificant life...when you pass perhaps a few people will miss you, after they die nobody will care or recall your foot touched the earth.
    WHAT?!

You mean to tell me that I'M NOT SPECIAL AMONG ALMOST SEVEN BILLION PEOPLE?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by hurt_confuzd View Post
    WHAT?!

You mean to tell me that I'M NOT SPECIAL AMONG ALMOST SEVEN BILLION PEOPLE?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Pretty much.
    Completely baffled by a backward indication
    That an inspired word will come across your tongue
    Hands moving upward to propel the situation
    Have simply halted
    And now the conversation's done

I am the EgGmAn

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Life has no purpose. You live, you die, meaningless shit is sandwiched in between. So you may as well make the absolute best of that meaningless shit. **** beautiful women, drink copious alcohol, eat exquisite food, see and experience new things.

Your life is like the flame on the head of a match and not a lick more relevant.

EDIT: Oh wow. Damn. I did not expect someone else to post something other than a lot of hot air or religious mumbo jumbo. Bravo, Dewilliams.
    Last edited by Gribble; 01-09-10 at 12:40 AM.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

You guys sound like total nihilists who just sit on their asses all day wishing they had some reason to live.

As George Carlin said, when you're born in this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. When you're an American, you're given a front row seat. The purpose of life is to sit back, relax, and enjoy the show. It's transitory, like traveling - the thrill of the chase.
    "Life" is just a four-letter abstract noun for all the stupid shit you do. The people who are remembered most, are those who did the stupidest shit or did a lot of stupid shit.

At a very basic level, the purpose of life is to create more life. It's a powerful instinct that drives a lot of human behavior. It needs to be a powerful instinct, because otherwise, raising a kid is an expensive hassle.

Beyond that, you can give your own life as much meaning as you want. I set a bunch of goals for myself years ago, and I have finally achieved most of them. So I have focused more on the remaining goals and set some new ones. But the meaning of life doesn't need to be that lofty. During some tough times when I was younger, one thing that kept me going was to find out what would happen in the next issue of my favorite comic books.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

What is the purpose of creating more life though?

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Did I not describe how life is all about doing thing and seeing things? I'm not a nihilist sitting on his ass all day (except at work and school, which granted IS most of my day). I'm a nihilist who hikes, white water rafts, camps, hang glides, spelunks, flirts with every kind woman and generally raises hell all damn night long.

The real purpose of life is as Vincenzo put it: reproduction. That's everything. Life exists to beget more life. Plain and simple. Sex, that thing girls tell us isn't everything, abso-****ing-lutely IS everything. Now, we are creatures of intellect and reason, and thus we are capable of denying nature and pursuing other courses. I return to my initial argument: none of that matters. Not the excess crap we do, not the reproduction. It's all insignificant.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    What is the purpose of creating more life though?
    It is it's own purpose.

I was actually pondering this exact question a few days ago. My cat gets unsettled when there is a bug in the room that he can't get at it, either flying around or high up on the wall or ceiling. So there was this brown spider about twice the size of my thumbnail, in the corner and on the ceiling. I swatted at it with a rolled-up newspaper, but I could just barely reach him and so only tagged one of his legs, removing the bottom section. The spider sat there in apparent shock, as I pondered whether to get a chair or try something else.

I grabbed a spray bottle of window cleaner, but before blasting him with it, I stopped and thought for a moment. Why am I doing this? Why can't I just let it live? Does it matter if the spider lives or dies? What is the purpose of the spider's life? What is the purpose of my life?

Then I thought about how I just don't like spiders, and my girlfriend is afraid of them. And apparently my cat doesn't like them either. And also, maybe it was a brown recluse spider, which is supposed to be really poisonous. So I sprayed it, and it fell to the floor but still managed to scuttle away. I felt a little bad about that, and I decided not to hunt him down. I expect that the next time I sweep the floor in that room, I will find his shriveled carcass.

So, what possible purpose does the spider have, aside from reproduction? Does it have hopes and fears? Dreams? Artistic aspirations? Probably none of the above except maybe some very primal fears and desires, including reproduction.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast