+ Follow This Topic
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Purpose of life,... In your Opinions

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    so let me ask everyone this then... when we are sitting in our cars angry at traffic, or waiting in line angry at the slower person in front of us, i'm sure that everyone who has been in this position thinks that they are better then the person in front of them for one reason or another.

in that case, how is everyone created equal when we are so quick to judge?

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    We're not created equal. That's just something the average to subaverage tell themselves to make life bearable. It's such a prevalent message because, let's face it, in order to be above average one must be in a minority.

Some folks are smarter, stronger, cleverer than others, and that does make them better and more desirable.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^^^ stop talking about me like i'm better than you. i don't want the others to get offended.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

While it's more of a life goal than an through-and-through 'purpose', I personally can't stand the idea of a simplistic service job, where you're just a small part and can't contribute any form of distinct expertise or creativity beyond just getting the job done, and being expendable because there's always someone else who can do the exact same thing.

And that's why I'm doing archi. Opens a ****ton of doors.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Well broadly speaking, I would say the purpose of life is:

1. Happiness, usually best acheived by meaningul work and close personal relationships.

2. Reproduction, to satisfy that powerful biolgical imperative.
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    While it's more of a life goal than an through-and-through 'purpose', I personally can't stand the idea of a simplistic service job, where you're just a small part and can't contribute any form of distinct expertise or creativity beyond just getting the job done, and being expendable because there's always someone else who can do the exact same thing.

And that's why I'm doing archi. Opens a ****ton of doors.
    Happiness can be found in the most menial of jobs. It's all about what you want and what you're striving for. Some people don't have any other goal but to support their families and put food on their table. Does that make their lives meaningless? I think not.

Right now I'm the night manager at a restaurant. Is this what I want to do forever? Hell no. But it's a stepping stone. Earlier this year I started as a barista, then became a waitress. I'm slowly working my way up. Despite that, I'm pretty content right now. I'm good at making people happy whether its by making a wonderful wine suggestion or making them laugh. I love this part of my job. It may seem small, but it has a greater effect overall. My boss taught me the very important lesson of seeing the bigger picture, and I love her for it.

The purpose of life?

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

What else could it be?
    When in trouble,
    Or in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout.

I dont wanna sound harsh here, but some food for thought:

To those people that think the purpose of life is to reproduce and bring more people into the world, what about gays? Does that mean they have no purpose then?

I'm not having a go or anything, just wondering what your thoughts were on that.

Quote Originally Posted by lahnnabell View Post
    Happiness can be found in the most menial of jobs. It's all about what you want and what you're striving for. Some people don't have any other goal but to support their families and put food on their table. Does that make their lives meaningless? I think not.

Right now I'm the night manager at a restaurant. Is this what I want to do forever? Hell no. But it's a stepping stone. Earlier this year I started as a barista, then became a waitress. I'm slowly working my way up. Despite that, I'm pretty content right now. I'm good at making people happy whether its by making a wonderful wine suggestion or making them laugh. I love this part of my job. It may seem small, but it has a greater effect overall. My boss taught me the very important lesson of seeing the bigger picture, and I love her for it.
    Hence the "I personally".

Of course I wouldn't do it if it was 'purposeful' but otherwise a dull job, but fortunately that's why I've found one that also covers a good mix of expansive all-round knowledge, creative and pragmatic mix, problem-solving tasks, competitive, tying in with other art forms, challenging and long-lived job.

But I still wouldn't be content with being, say, a world-famous entertainer, because I don't see any point to it beyond simple amusement. Not to mention that being that kind of a celebrity has a shit-ton of downsides.

Purpose of who's life? Mine? Probably break my soul into multiple pieces, keep it safe in interesting historical artefacts and live forever.

Gribble is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I dont wanna sound harsh here, but some food for thought:

To those people that think the purpose of life is to reproduce and bring more people into the world, what about gays? Does that mean they have no purpose then?

I'm not having a go or anything, just wondering what your thoughts were on that.
    The goal in life is to reproduce. Blindly and stupidly. Nature places a series of checks and balances to keep any one particular species from massively overproducing and destroying itself.. Predators, diseases, etc, etc. Homosexuality is just another check. There's nothing wrong with it. It's perfectly natural, particularly for creatures intelligent enough to engage in sexual activities for recreational purposes.
    God, so atrocious in the Old Testament, so attractive in the New--the Jekyl and Hyde of sacred romance.
    -Mark Twain

If people are good only because they fear punishment and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
    The goal in life is to reproduce. Blindly and stupidly. Nature places a series of checks and balances to keep any one particular species from massively overproducing and destroying itself.. Predators, diseases, etc, etc. Homosexuality is just another check. There's nothing wrong with it. It's perfectly natural, particularly for creatures intelligent enough to engage in sexual activities for recreational purposes.
    I agree. There were some behavioral studies done with rats that showed a increase in deviant behavior after a certain threshold of population density was met. It was an instinctive reaction leading to behaviors that would cause population to decline.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipp View Post
    Hence the "I personally".

Of course I wouldn't do it if it was 'purposeful' but otherwise a dull job, but fortunately that's why I've found one that also covers a good mix of expansive all-round knowledge, creative and pragmatic mix, problem-solving tasks, competitive, tying in with other art forms, challenging and long-lived job.

But I still wouldn't be content with being, say, a world-famous entertainer, because I don't see any point to it beyond simple amusement. Not to mention that being that kind of a celebrity has a shit-ton of downsides.
    I was thinking about celebrities the other day. On the off days we don't have live music booked at the cafe, we are playing concert DVDs and the like. The amount of work these people do to maintain their bodies and lives is ridiculous. We have a particular Beyonce show that just astounds me. To think that women does that every other day while out on tour just astounds me.

And then you have the whole paparazzi side to their lives. I would go absolutely f-ing crazy if I had no privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Illusional View Post
    so let me ask everyone this then... when we are sitting in our cars angry at traffic, or waiting in line angry at the slower person in front of us, i'm sure that everyone who has been in this position thinks that they are better then the person in front of them for one reason or another.

in that case, how is everyone created equal when we are so quick to judge?

raverboy
    Illusional-----Our tendency to judge the next person, has no bearing on the state of our equality.
    I find that we are equal in the sense that we have similar limitations. Like we all age, when once we could run up and down the stairs, equality sets in when one day you realise you don't have the energy to run up and down the stairs. Everyone ages. Everyone gets sick. Everyone bleeds from a cut. Everyone will die - bit morbid, but true. Realising your humanity is a great equaliser.

The purpose of my life? Not too sure. I try not to think about it too much. I treasure the happy moments, and if life is going at a normal (boring) pace, I am actually quite happy. I do not yearn from extreme highs because I always crash afterwards, to an extreme low. So moderate is good for me.

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Are you suggesting that human colonization acts like one gigantic organism? To suggest that a population of animals would engage in homosexual or other kinds of devious behavior IN ORDER TO reduce population is a pretty bold statement.
    I don't think Vin was referring to homosexuality in this specific instance of deviant behavior. I mean, look at crime. That is deviant behavior and it tends to be incredibly prevalent in inner cities as opposed to the suburbs or more rural areas.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast