+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Conflicted..

Conflicted..

Hi there. So, here is my current hiccup:
    My boyfriend of six years himself has admitted that sometimes he can be a bit of a jerk. He gets really sensitive and upset when he's wrong about things and has a low tolerance for when people do things to piss him off. He also tends to speak rudely to authority sometimes when things don't go right, which got him in trouble at school a few times, and gets him in trouble at work once in a while.

He's normally fine with me -- in fact, around me he's a totally different person. He can be very sweet, agreeable, understanding, and lots of fun to talk with, but I'm worried about how others perceive him lately. More importantly, though this may be arbitrary, I'm worried about what will happen to our social lives when we get married. I'm worried that some people will have a difficult time being around, and I don't really know how to deal with this feeling. It's really been bothering me lately.

I think this is because a friend of mine was dating a complete asshole a while back, though admittedly my boyfriend doesn't come CLOSE to the level of jerkedness this guy was--anyway, I couldn't stand being near either of them because he would always be around. I'm afraid of that happening, and I don't know if I should bring it up with my boyfriends, talk to my friends, get over it, or what. :/

I really, really care about him, and this certainly isn't a reason I'd want to leave him for. I'd like to see it change, but it's his personality...I'm not too sure how to bring this up, what to suggest, what to try, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by xXKSXx View Post
    I'm worried that some people will have a difficult time being around
    This is a consequence of being with a guy who is a jerk to people. If you're just going to put up with it, it's very likely that you'll eventually lose friends (if you haven't already) or never even be able to build a social life with him in it.

Since you want to stay with him, tell him about it. It will benefit him, too. Tell him that you worry about his mental health and livelihood when he gets really angry, and you don't like seeing him that way. Offer to be supportive and help him out with whatever he needs to do to manage his anger. And don't let it slide when he's a jerk. In private, when he's calm, say something like, "You were really rude to that waitress (whatever) today and I felt embarrassed. Do you want to talk about what happened? I'd really rather not see you act like that ever again."

Quote Originally Posted by xXKSXx View Post
    He's normally fine with me
    You sure?