+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I really need some advice.... This is life changing events

I really need some advice.... This is life changing events

This is not going to be about love; well kind of. It's about love for my brother.

I am 24 years old and live in NC. My brother is 14 and lives in FL. My brother is a hemophiliac, also known as a "free bleeder" for those of us that didn't go to medical school. It is a genetic disorder which doesn't allow the blood to clot as it should. Example, if he gets a cut on his finger and is not treated immediately, he could bleed to death because his blood doesn't clot.

My mother is a drug addict and was recently arrested for prostitution. My brother was taken by DCF and placed in custody with a friend of the family. (There's no family in FL and who knows who is father is). I just recently learned about everything and I am contemplating on fighting for custody. I want the best for him. I dont want him to end up in a foster home. The woman my brother is currently living with now, doesn't plan of keeping him past June which is when the herring is.

I found out who the caseworker is and she was unable to provide me with any information about the situation because I wasnt on "the list".

I didnt grow up with my brother. He was born in FL and my grandma raised me and my older sister (we were taken away from our mother too). So we barley know each other, but we still love him just like he has been in our lives since day one!

I am so scared that I dont know what I am about to get myself into. I almost feel selfish to think so. I have no idea about raising a teenage boy! Plus he has a serious medical condition! But I feel that I am the best option for him and I really want to challenge our mother. But I fear that I am not emotionally or mentally ready.

Any advice to help me get through this and think logically will greatly be appreciated!

Thanks.
    Last edited by Xena; 29-03-11 at 07:20 AM.

I think that you are making a wonderful decision. I believe that you would be the best person to take care of him, even though you havent ever met him. He needs to be with his family, not a foster home. There are alot of parenting tips online that you could look at to help you understand how to raise a teenage boy with that kind of health problem. I suggest that you do some reasearch on it so you will fully know and understand what he has to go through. I wish you and your brother the best of luck. I hope you win the custody battle and get your little brother That would be a blessing within itself.
    ~ Loving My Honey Bunch ~

Good luck, i don't have any experience with this situation but i hope it works out! Keep us informed!!