+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Where to meet people?

Where to meet people?

For my first post, I thought I'd get some advice from the friendly members here.

It seems like I'm in a real rut - I haven't dated anyone for 3 or so years, but at the same time, I didn't really miss anything those 3 years. There's a lot of freedom that comes with being able to do whatever you want whenever you want.

Now I'm in my mid-20s, the career part of my life sorted out, but I find that somedays I'm fairly bored out of my mind with nothing to do. My friends all have different work schedules so that makes it hard to meet up, but they also have steady partners. I've taken some culinary arts classes outside of work just for interest, but didn't meet anyone there. I have another set of classes coming up, but it might get cancelled due to low enrolment.

I've been tickling the thought of taking a language class at a local cultural centre. The reason for this is because I enjoy travelling and it helps to know basic communication in the local language. I was thinking of a slavic language since I want to travel to eastern europe within the next year and a half. My friends have joked that I'm probably the ONLY asian person to enrol.

I still haven't met that person that provides an instant connection, and maybe I'm feeling down in the dumps too because a random girl could've been hitting on me and I failed to recognize it until after the fact (I was out running errands). Where do you meet people?!?!!

It all depends on your lifestyle. I'm 25 and I don't drink at all, so when people tell me "go to a bar, you'll meet a fun girl", I obviously don't, because I will have nothing in common with a drunk girl lol. But I mean, if you like going to clubs/bars, you could always buy a girl a drink and strike up a convo.

For me, music is my life, so I go to local concerts for music, and occasionally, I'll meet an attractive girl, who, right off the bat, has the same musical taste as me, so we already have something to talk about.

You probably don't want to meet a girl while traveling to eastern europe though lol, or traveling anywhere for that matter. Long distance relationships never end well. My current interest is a girl that I met while playing pool in a nearby townl...so you can find a girl anywhere

Think of a hobby or activity you enjoy, and find an event that involves that hobby or activity, and if you're lucky, you'll find someone there with similar interests.

Best of luck to you.

Blimey that was like reading myself 6 months ago!!

I swallowed my pride and joined a dating website (Plentyoffish). I dont get into relationships easily/ often but I met a great guy who've ive known for some months now and I think we'll be together for a long time.

Im all for internet dating now, you can speak to someone on MSN for weeks/ months before meeting to make sure they're ok. You'll meet some complete randoms on your way but on the plus you'll gain some bizarrely funny first date stories to tell your buddiess (-; ha.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Single; 22-06-11 at 08:22 PM.

I think the first thing for you to recognize is you must enjoy being by yourself first, like the old saying goes, you can't expect anyone to love you unless you love yourself first. You should enroll in classes, get another degree, start hitting the gym, do some sports, but for the sake of yourself! I'm not saying that a cute girl is gonna fall from the sky, but once you enjoy life to the fullest on YOUR OWN, you would then be ready to accept the company of the girl who you will take the chance to meet.

I was also going to mention internet dating. There are some sites that I've met some nice girls off of

Try Plentyoffish, and OKcupid. I dated a girl that I met off of OKcupid for a few months..we ended on good terms, so it's nothing I regret.

Internet dating is definitely an option for someone who is having difficulty meeting people. But internet dating exists for a reason. As we get older, our possibilities for meeting people get smaller and smaller. You no longer have a bunch of different people in different classes, etc. Now you have one set of people you work with (which is where a lot of people meet potential dating partners, but I wouldn't advise it) and any outside activities you do. It sounds like you are doing the right things by doing other things that you enjoy. That helps in a lot of ways, including the fact that you have a common interest to start a conversation if there is someone there who strikes your fancy. I have heard church groups are another place where a lot of people in this age group meet.
    Regardless, don't become discouraged. Keep living your life as you want to and things will work out.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!

Internet dating - you can talk for as long as you like before deciding to meet up. Worked well for me.

yeah online dating.. worked for me.. you just need to be patient with it...

Update: So I'm giving on-line dating thing a try, but not holding my breath. On the whole it seems very superficial, but that's life in general at times. I actually answered an ad for rowers on a local boating team. Mind as well keep busy, and the team is co-ed and comprised of yuppies like myself, so at least I'll have made some new friends this summer, not to mention getting in even better shape.

Online dating is fine, but try to keep it local.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Who currently resides in San Jose California
    church, school, clubs, and yes ze internetz...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This is me training
    WINS:10 LOSS:14 DRAW:2

yes avoid Long distance relationships...it's great that you feel ready for meeting someone, it's a huge part of what will make it work...also try to meet different types of people..and don't make assumptions...like I won't meet anyone in aclub, I won't date someone who is not academic, I want to date this age group, etc...

I'm sure you'll meet someone pretty soon and if it does not work straight away dating will help build your confidence and most of all the more people you meet (even for coffees) the better idea you'll have about who you are looking for...
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.