I'm a guy, and this girl is honestly driving me insane. Let me start by saying that we go to the same college, we're both freshmen and both 18. I met her on Facebook over the summer, we chatted/skyped for maybe 5 hours a week every week over the summer. We met up on the first day, and since then have pretty much spent most of our free time together (sometimes alone, sometimes with other friends). We really clicked together. After about a week, I asked her out. She said no, that she wasn't looking for a relationship and didn't want to be tied down.
Things were a little awkward for a couple days, but then we both pretty much forgot about it. We usually just chill, drink, watch TV, study, sit and talk, or do whatever together. Fast forward to week 3, one night we were just laying on her bed, she put her head on my chest and we both fell asleep like that. She came over to my place the next night, we cuddled more closely and she let me hold her hand; she slept there again. A couple days later I slept at her place again, when I woke up she was pretty much wrapped around me. We both went home for the long weekend. So we've pretty much had a month together. All of our friends think that we're an item, are having sex, etc. even though we aren't.
I'm not new to relationships, sex, or any of that, but I have never loved anyone this completely. The thought of having to settle for another woman appalls me. I am more than willing to go along with her cuddling, but she frustrates me so much with these mixed signals that sometimes I just want to scream and ask her where we are going with this. She won't date me, yet will cuddle intimately for hours and just talk. Sometimes we will just sit there for minutes at a time and stare at each other, and I want to kiss her at times like that, but I feel as if the ball is in her court. I already asked her out. Was I too early on that, and now she may be opening herself up to me? She hasn't pursued any other men since we've been here.
I want to be more with this girl, but I don't want to ruin the friendship, seeing as I've already been rejected once. I'm pretty certain she's not the type to lead people on. I'm also not sure if its a case where she just wants to go slowly, and is testing the waters as it were. Furthermore, we pretty much have the same friend group, so if I did make things awkward we would likely still be seeing each other a lot. I don't want to move on, but I will if I have to because I am sure as hell not staying stuck in some lame one-sided friend zone relationship.
Basically I see these as my options: (in no particular order):
1. Should I take the risk and ask her where we stand, despite the risk to making our friendship awkward?
2. Don't allow her to get all cuddly with me, move on and put her in the friend zone to save myself the emotional pain and look for other girls
3. Wait it out, continue spending time with her in the hopes that she will take it somewhere but look for other girls on the side
4. Wait it out, be patient and see where she takes it, and not actively looking for other girls