+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Long Distance Relationship...

Long Distance Relationship...

Hello everyone.

To make a very, very long story short, I met a girl on an online chat site years back. We're now nearing our two year anniversary. She changed my life and myself altogether. She's 17, I'm 19. She lives hundreds of miles away. All this time, the plan was always that she would come here for college and we'd live happily ever after, blah blah. She told me yesterday she will be going to college near home for two years. That would make it five years of being in a very deep relationship with someone I don't know.

I am at a loss. I genuinely love this girl and I don't worry about that wavering, and the same goes for her I believe. But is the survival of this ridiculous relationship at all a possibility? Do I call it quits now before I go insane?

Thank you to anyone willing to participate.

Yes, please let her go. These things almost never work. You are missing out on a lot of moments a person in love should have. Find a girl close to you. A girl to hold hands with and kiss every day and so on. Not via the internet. It was one thing if you would have to wait for A few months or a year, but waiting 5 years it's too painful. You are young and there are so many nice girls out there..

IT IS NOT GOING TO WORK. Have you even met this girl? I repeat. It is not going to work. Find someone closer to home.

i was in a long distant relationship with my ex before i met my boyfriend. we met on myspace. he lived 2 hours away which isnt to to far but we barely saw eachother. the first year we never met. then i would see him once every few months. but he was getting controling and it was hard.
    i was the one putting in all the effort i would call him, text him, and i would go with my parents to go see him, he never came to see me. i had school and he got mad at me for going to school.
    but my story is different but what i am trying to say is. i thought i was happy with him, i thought i loved him, but turns out i wasnt in love with him. it was hard on the relationship being far from eachother, and i am sure its super hard for you. and plus you never know if the person is cheating or lieing or really seeing someone else in person and having you around too.
    but i knew i couldnt be going back and forth to see him if he didnt try to see me, and i was not happy so i ended it. its the best thing i ever did. i realized that i didnt love him, that i wasted my time. thats when my bf and i got together, just being able to hold his hand, be with him close, cuddling kissing, going out on dates it was amazing, and being with him showed me what love really is, he showed me how to love and how it feels to be loved.
    so i think you should end it, you may love her but you will find someone else who you may love more, and who you will be able to hold and look into their eyes. if you have to wait so long to see her who knows, when that time passes it may be another excuse and you may have to wait longer. so save your self the pain. it will hurt when you first break up but you will get over it, and then you could find osmeone closer

If you've never met the person, you're only in love with the persona they put out on skype/whatever program you use to chat. You in reality don't know the real person, or if you'll actually love them.

There was a sad story about a guy on here a few months back that flew to some country to meet his LDR girlfriend for the first time, he planned to stay the week. By the end of the first night she didn't want to see him at all anymore, by day 2 she asked him to leave and didn't see it going any further. I think it was a long term online relationship. It was a valuable lesson into what can happen when you actually meet face to face the first time.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Petit Papillon is offline Napinacz
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    You're not in a long distance relationship. You're in an online relationship. That is a big difference and no it will not work. Don't fool yourself.
    I wazzzz here

Since you two never met in person, it isn't really a relationship... and she is young so she may not taking it serious.

I concur wholeheartedly with the comments above. Personally, if you have never met, I wouldn't even consider it a relationship. But if it is anything, it is an online relationship. And no planning really matters until you two meet. Until that point, she is just someone on a computer screen, the same way you are.

If you want to continue to communicate with her and talk to her, I see no problem with that. But only if you also look for real time people closer to you. Interaction and dating is much different in the flesh-and-blood world than it is in the cyber world.

Good luck.
    Brought to you by Dating With Devon!