+ Follow This Topic

Thread: In love but hurting, can relationship be saved?

In love but hurting, can relationship be saved?

I need advice, I love my boyfriend but I'm not happy and he might break up with me.

So almost a year ago I started dating this guy I worked with, it was amazing, he treated me great and we said we wanted to be together for the rest of our lives. About 6 months in it changed, more like he changed. I quit working at our work and he got swamped with college and two jobs. He became distant, affection from him verbal and physical was minimal and we only saw each other a handful of times a month, but he was so busy. His distance hurt me, I thought he wasn't interested in me anymore. I did tell him how I felt a couple of times but nothing changed. Now we haven't seen each other for a few weeks, and when I brought up again how I feel (in the dark and needing reassurance) he finally started to open up to me. He says he's not happy, with everything. When I asked if he still loves me he said he doesn't know. He said he needs to figure things out. I asked if he was going to break up with me and he said he doesn't know what he's going to do. I've been unhappy for months, I don't feel special and I don't feel like his girlfriend. But I still love him so much. I don't know what I should do. I've been giving him space, only texting him a couple of times this week, even though he never asked for space, am I doing the right thing? How can I convince him not to give up on us just because we're having difficulties and he's so stressed? I don't want to end the relationship, but I'm unhappy with how it is now. Any advice would help. Thank you.
    Last edited by mtbot9; 03-12-11 at 11:48 AM.

some word of advice..... it may seem like the end of the world now, but it really isn't. You've been with this guy for such a short time period. It's easy to mix up lust for love. When you two met there was sparks.....then after the excitement of the beginning fades away.....you and him both slowly realize that perhaps this isn't "love". You seem very young and will realize this when you get older. Don't dwell on this situation too much. The odds of you guys ending up happily ever after are less than 1%.

Unfortunately the only thing you CAN do is tell him how you feel and move on. Let him know that if he does decide your relationship is important enough to continue on in the future then he can call you. The important part though is that you do move on. Keep progressing and moving forward; you may discover in the meantime that maybe it isn't love as new experiences and people will come into your life, as long as you're not spending your time stuck on and wallowing over him. That won't get you anything but miserable.
    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss