+ Follow This Topic

Thread: long distance relationship advice needed!

long distance relationship advice needed!

I'm in a long distance relationship, and have been with my boyfriend for 2 years (I'm 26, he's 31).
    Since meeting we have managed to see each other every 3 to 4 months. We talk everyday and are both
    committed to each other. We have talked about long term plans and are both working towards being able to be together.

Unfortunately neither of us are particularly easy-going people, and when we do see each other it feels like as if there is a lot of pressure for things to be perfect - as time together is so limited. I tend to worry too easily that he's not having a good time, and he tends to get angry too easily if something doesn't go to plan.Consequently, our time together which is precious, is spent alternating between great moments and arguing. It's never until the end of the trip that we both realise we have wasted a lot of time fighting over nothing. It seems no matter how much we talk about it before seeing each other, these arguments still seem to happen (although they have got less), and sometimes I feel I'm not even being myself.

I was wondering if anyone else is/has been in a similar situation and has any advice?

There is a name for this scenario, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. You build up the relationship so much on the phone and online that the physical time together doesn't live up to it. Your LDR is actually better than when you're close together!

Unless you can find a way to see each other more, this tension will not go away every time you see each other. You simply haven't been around each other enough to be "comfortable".
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

Quote Originally Posted by Cerby View Post
    There is a name for this scenario, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. You build up the relationship so much on the phone and online that the physical time together doesn't live up to it. Your LDR is actually better than when you're close together!

Unless you can find a way to see each other more, this tension will not go away every time you see each other. You simply haven't been around each other enough to be "comfortable".
    Thank you for your advice. We're hoping to go and work abroad together soon for 6 months to a year, so hopefully this will give us time to become more comfortable together.