Thread: Sex, not pot, makes you smarter

indigosoul Guest

Sex, not pot, makes you smarter

OK, this needed its own thread.

1. Pot reduces inhibitions
    2. Decreased inhibitions = more sex
    3. Sex makes u smarter
    [url]http://english.pravda.ru/science/19/94/377/12381_sex.html[/url]

Thus, it is the SEX, not the pot that makes a pothead "intellectual". Marley, the Beatles, Clinton, etc had lots of SEX. I say save some neurons & skip straight to the good stuff...

Oh yeah...

yes but pot is part of the equation.

indigosoul Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by misombra
    yes but pot is part of the equation.
    Ummm, sorry but it isn't. I was merely restating the flow of the current argument. Which is that the effect of pot is being confused with the effect of sex. The work showing that sex makes you smarter had nothing to do w/pot. Take out pot, have lots of sex & the effect is the same.

I haven't been following the other thread, but pot for sure kills brain cells, which definitely isn't adding anything to your IQ points!

Sex, on the other hand... How can that NOT be a good thing? *sigh*

you said that pot leads to lower inhibition, which leads to sex, which leads to greatness. so um, yeah it was.

3. Sex makes u smarter

I've always felt sex makes you dumb. It's like an addiction, sort of, your perspective is skewed when you are having regular sex.

Of course, your perspective will also be really really f*cked up if you're smoking a lot of pot regularly. Hence why I am so f*cked up but perhaps not as stupid as I was.

Another thing, the very first tenet of your argument is wrong. Pot does not reduce inhibitions. In a social setting, it tends to make you shy and paranoid. Alcohol will get you much more sex than pot will, but I doubt that alcohol is a good way to stimulate your intellect (or sex, for that matter.)

Smoke pot by yourself, write things down, draw, sing, dance... It might not make you "smarter," but you might notice something about yourself or the world that would have slipped past you otherwise. Drugs can help you to be a better person. Watch out for addictions, with drugs and with sex. Both will send you spiraling into a scattered mess of insecurity.

I've found that smoking pot can act as an aphrodisiac. It heightens my senses and things are more intense. I'll never agree that it will make you smarter though.

yeah it's fun to do when you're hanging around listening to music and doing something creative. but it doesn't make you smarter, that's not the point of it. but yes moderation is the key. but i don't think it makes someone dumber in the long term.

but yes moderation is the key. but i don't think it makes someone dumber in the long term.
    If you do enough of it it does. It's a medical fact. It kills braincells. But in moderation, it's no biggie.

A medical fact? Easy to say that, but somewhat harder to prove, as there are no studies that have legitimately determined that.

All that has been determined is that it has some effect on memory. I'm not sure where I heard that, though... If I remember I'll - what are we talking about?

Huh? Oooh, cheetos!

Did someone say pot?

---------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------

sunovabeeatch... I'm gonna eat my words. Just found this link:

[url]http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=3475#12[/url]

*runs off to buy a dime bag*

I love when I'm right.

Hence, my immense love for everything I say.

::tosses away cheeto bag and licks fingers, contentedly::

indigosoul Guest
    Oh come on! If you're gonna believe what you read from the web, at least get it from a reputable source... not some media-distilled site where they don't know a pipet from a plastic straw:

[url]http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchReports/marijuana/Marijuana3.html#acute[/url]

The references clearly state there are negative cognitive effects of doing pot. not even mentioning the addiction problems, which is enough to merit "screws your brain" IMHO. NOWHERE is there any data saying pot makes you smarter. There are several studies demonstrating cognitive impairment (up to 18 hours after doing pot!) And the jury is still out on the brain cell death... THC seems to affect different brain regions differently. it took 30 years for the tobacco ppl to admit the cancer link... who knows, maybe the memory effects may predispose to Alzheimers or something...

Hey, we all choose our favorite poison (alcohol, high fat diets, pot etc.) just don't glamorize it. It doesn't make you smarter; if it did, we would be giving it out in schools...

indigosoul Guest
    you said that pot leads to lower inhibition, which leads to sex, which leads to greatness. so um, yeah it was.

3. Sex makes u smarter
    Again, no, I said SEX makes you smarter. Not pot. And they are not connected. Are you saying:

1. Pot = more sex
    2. More Sex = smarter
    3. Therefore Pot makes you smarter

This is called a logical fallacy. Pot does not always cause more sex, and reduced inhibitions (by whatever method) also doesn't always cause more sex either. Therefore 3 cannot be true (by this argument).

I WAS suggesting an EXPLANATION for why pot smoking might seem to be ASSOCIATED w/intellectuals. And the connection is SEX. I'm saying that potheads may f*ck more! Its supposed to be funny, and happens to actually have some research supporting this (the sex/smart; don't know about the pot/more sex thing). There is no data for 3. that I can find.

Can I stop being a

now? I want to discuss the more sex = smarter cnxn, which i thought was great!
    Last edited by indigosoul; 26-03-05 at 03:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast