+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Should I stop always putting him first?

Should I stop always putting him first?

Don't know if I'm over reacting but this has happened a few times now and I feel hurt by it.

My boyfriend and I have been together for over ayear now. We've both recently started full time jobs so havent' seen each other as much as we usually would. I miss him like crazy and he was supposed to come round to mine tonight after work and me to him another day. He had to run an errand after work so I knew he'd be a little late but I didnt hear from him for a few hours and got worried, so after texting him, he tells me he is at his friend's house and will come once he's done, 'I'll see what time I leave here'. By this point its late.

It hurts because I always put him first, even told my friend tonight that I couldnt see her and sat waiting for him. He always apologises and he doesnt ever treat me bad, but every time we argue, he cries and I feel bad so I forget about my problems and try to make peace. Tonight, i didnt mind that he went to his friend's, a simple text would have been fine to say he'd be a bit late getting to mine, but he just left me waiting. I wouldn't do that to him, I even told him he didnt have to come if he had too many errands to attend to, cause I felt bad that he would feel obliged to come if he was tired. I don't know if any of this makes sense (in rant mode) but I just feel like I consider his feelings first and probably too much and it sometimes feels like he doesn't in return.

Am I over reacting? and what should I do? He knows I'm upset and we're gonna talk about it tomorrow.

He was inconsiderate. Why would him consistantly being inconsiderate be okay?

Don't go nuts on him just write out what he can do to improve on his consideration of you. If after he knows what upsets you, it's been written out for him (if that's what he needs) and he keeps doing inconsiderate things, well then you know he does'nt value you or the relationship much because even after knowing, he still does it.

Perhaps he takes you for granted because he knows no matter how he treats you, all he has to do is cry and you'll get over it soon enough. You teach people how to treat you... stop enabling him to treat you as if you're somehow insignifcant so he needn't call you to tell you he'll be late and teach him that that behaviour is unacceptable.

Start not turning down plans with your friends. He is freed up? oh well too bad you already made plans to hit the clubs with your GF.