+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dreading the inevitable goodbye...

Dreading the inevitable goodbye...

This is more about a "platonic" thing than a "love" thing, but I figure this is probably the best fit for this topic. Anyway, some of you may have read my previous topic(s) in the past about a girl I've known from work for over a year, and fell for pretty hard this past summer. Long story short, she turned me down, I was sad, but our friendship didn't change, and I've made peace with her decision.

Anyway, she's going to be finishing college in the next few weeks, and I assume within the next month or two, she's going to be leaving for a new, better job. I've been trying to just enjoy the little time I get to spend with her until then, but as the clock keeps ticking down, so to speak, it's getting harder and harder to not think about her being gone.

Thing is, I don't "connect" very well with people, in general, so I don't have much of a social life beyond some acquaintances. But I've felt a "connection" with this girl for a while now that I've never felt with someone before. Regardless of whether her and I are dating or not, I love spending time with her, talking to her, etc. There's no one in the world I trust more than her, no one I'd rather hang around with.

Granted, I'm (rightfully) probably not at that level for her, especially considering we very rarely see each other outside of work. That's the thing, though, I just... I wish we were better friends outside of work, so that when she does inevitably leave, it's not "goodbye", we could still talk, hang out, etc.

The thought of losing the little I currently have with her is pretty sad. I mean, who knows when (or if) I'll ever connect with someone so well again? She could potentially be one of the best friends I'll ever have, and the thought of her just being gone in the next month or two really bums me out.

But, I'm going out for my birthday in a few weeks, and she's definitely interested in coming along, so I'm very excited about that, but it's bittersweet in that it's likely going to be the last time I get to spend time with her outside of work.

I know it is what it is, and it's out of my control, it just makes me... sad.

Well you said it, its all out of your control. You need to come to terms with her decisions and respect what she decides to do. She already turned you down, so it seems you have these false hopes that will never be fulfilled. You will find someone in the future, you just need to be more open to other people. I do understand you don't socialize well, but try to be more open. It will work wonders Good luck.

When she does leave (whenever that ends up being), would it be... weird, or inappropriate at all to tell her that I'll miss her? I don't mean in a really corny "romantic gesture" kind of way, but I feel like when we're talking for the last time, while we're laughing together for the last time, I probably won't be able to help holding my tongue on saying "Oh, I'm gonna miss ya so much, you know that?" with a smile.

More over, when we do talk for the last time, would it really be wrong/ bad if I playfully said something like "I don't suppose you have any last minute interest in giving that date another thought, huh?"?