+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Shoud I quit my job?

Shoud I quit my job?

I like my job, I am a courtesy clerk at grocery store. I have been working there for four months, and its fairly easy. I help out customers with their needs, I bag their groceries, push carts and sweep the store, but still I am a little unhappy. You see, the store where I work at is the same store where my mom used to work. She was the boss, the manager and everyone loved her, but unfortunately she was forced to quit after a misunderstanding. After 30 years of her dedicating her life to the company she quit. Years later, I was desperate for a job and I finally decided I had no choice but to work there since I knew the people and they would hire me without a problem. My co-workers are nice and helpful, but of course they always ask about my mom and I am always pressured to do really good. I work really hard not only because I like but also to not let my mom down and not make her look bad. I am a bit slow with some things and that is where I don't shine. Ok so the problem is that I went to cashier training last month and in that whole month I have only been at the register for 1 minute. I have noticed that the courtesy clerks that went to school around the same time as me have been at the register way more than me. I thought well maybe its because they have been at the store longer, but still that bothers me. I am embarrassed that I have spent so little time at the register. I have been too timid to ask if I can go on and also scared, so maybe that's why they don't ask me to go on, but still I can't shake the feeling that they have no faith in me either. This is why I want to quit, because If I'm not going to cashier than what is the point really. I would have been happy being a courtesy clerk for a good while not ever going to cashier school untli maybe being there longer, but now I feel really stupid. I went to cashier school and it's like nothing changed. What should I do? I am unhappy there and I feel like nobody really cares about me, its mostly my mom they care about. Most questions are about her not me. I also dont talk to many people because my mom told me to mostly focus on my work, and that kinda sucks

Hi, being a cashier doesn't really require much in terms of skills. But you do have to be fast. Also it requires the ability to deal with the public. I gather from your post that both of these may be problems for you. If I were you, I would stick to the courtesy desk and be happy you have a job. It is a terrible economy out there and many people would love to be where you are. Don't be embarrassed. Just do the best you can at the job you have.

I don't think your mom has anything to do with it. People probably ask about her because they remember her and also because they want to talk to you and she is one thing you have in common. If you are unhappy there, remember that work is about making money. It is your personal life where you have your best friends and connections. It is not a good idea to mix them too much.

If you do decide to change jobs, it is always a good idea to have another one before you quit. Don't burn any bridges in case you need to come back. Good luck to you.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Good advice ^^.

I also want to encourage you to look at an alternative point of view: I understand there is probably some sort of hierarchy involved in working in a grocery store, but to an outsider, I think standing behind a register all day long scanning groceries would make me extremely bored, and I doubt it's very good for your back health. I would much rather have your job.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Jobs do add a lot of stress

Make sure you have a plan B.
    As a man thinketh, so is he.

Hope it all works out for you ...

But you enjoyed your job before and nobody complained. Why should you feel whorse now? The problem that you are probably a very good cashier because the bad ones 1)would never go to this special school 2)would never ask themselves such questions