+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a common thing for guys to not be able to manage money?

Is it a common thing for guys to not be able to manage money?

I love my boyfriend very much and we get on very well, but he just has this problem where he is unable to save money, he seems to just spend it because its in his pocket basically, so I was wondering whether this is a common thing with guys? or if anyone had any advice on how to help him manage money better? its just I worry about the future if he isnt able to hold on to his money very well.

How old is he and does he have a full time job? Is he getting money from family?

he is 26 and doesn't have a job yet, so he gets government benefit....

Once he has to earn his money he will spend it more wisely. Having financial responsibilities like paying rent or making payments for a car can also help people to be more responsible with their money. But if he just gets money handed to him and has nothing important to use it for he will just throw it out of he window.

I'm not necessarily spending my money wisely either and I buy a lot of stuff I don't really need, but that is after I pay all my bills, put money into retirement accounts, etc.

The ability to handle your personal finances doesn't seem to depend on the sex of the person. Some people are just crap with money.

yes I think he just needs to take responsibility for his finances, I guess some people are just crap with money

Quote Originally Posted by TrueRomantic View Post
    he is 26 and doesn't have a job yet, so he gets government benefit
    Why does he qualify for "Government Benefit?" Does he live at home or does he have his own place?

its because he is out of work, he lives at home

Quote Originally Posted by TrueRomantic View Post
    its because he is out of work, he lives at home
    Is he making any kind of effort to find a new job? If not he really deserves a kick in his rear end.

This isn't a guy thing, this is just a lazy asshole that you shouldn't be dating. Stop picking these losers that don't have any ambition. You are not rescuing him, or will make him a better man being in his life....all he is going to do is suck the life out of this relationship.

Yes he is making an effort to find work.....

when you say effort what does that mean? is he willing to do voluntary work or unpaid internship to gain experience and better his chances of getting a real job?

dont waste time on someone who has no drive or ambition. he should want to be independent and stand on his own two feet, take pride in his work and have some future ambition.

lazy people who sit on their ass all they and milk off the government are losers. it should only be temporary for people who genuinly need it but will do anything to get back into work

I'm 23, have over 250k, and still am EXTREMELY cautious with my money. He's no longer a kid at 26, you become an adult at 18 and even before then kids should be saving their money (parents should teach this from the beginning). I remember starting to bank way back in elementary school. I knew I someday wanted to get a house, car, have kids so it only made sense to start saving at a young age. He most likely learned this behavior from his parents and just thought that's what everyone does. He just needs to be taught responsibility and to think of his future (including possible wife and kids). Sucks he doesn't know this yet, but better now than when he's 36 or 46.

While teaching your kids does play a role, I think instinct and commonsense plays a large part. My daughter has been a saver since grade-school - this was more about her own personality than teaching by us.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

This guy may be looking for a job, but he is living at home (with his parents, I assume) and receiving government aid. So he doesn't really have an incentive to save money because his basic needs are taken care of anyway.

There are probably several factors involved with being responsible, but I doubt that gender is one of them. My younger sister is maxed out on her charge cards because she and her boyfriend are always dining out and buying new clothes, and he doesn't make as much as her. Aside from my mortgage, I just have a balance on one charge card, and it's nowhere near maxed out. I could pay it off in 3 months without much trouble. My sister often spends her whole paycheck without saving anything, while I typically only spend half of what I earn.
    Good decisions come from experience. Experience comes from bad decisions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast