+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Broke up with girlfriend but still want her in my life

Broke up with girlfriend but still want her in my life

So I was going out with this girl for 6 months and we had something amazing and when we were together we had so much fun but she felt she is still not ready to settle down or just be committed to one person. She was moving back home (150 miles away) for the summer (3months) so the distance was going to put further strain on us so we decided to break up. She still really cares about me but not as a boyfriend but as a best friend.
    On the night we broke up we ended up having sex (was so wrong but we both just felt the urge) and the suggestion of being friends with benefits came up but I thought that this suggestion would just confuse the situation further.

I believe that it was a very good break-up since obviously we were both hurt but not as hurt as we could of been since we discussed things and made a mutual decision which in the long run will be the best thing for both of us.

I still really care about her but know we can't be bf and gf and that I need time to myself to let these feelings fade. I still want her to be in my life because she was like a best friend as well as my girlfriend. I just don't see the point in cutting someone out of my life that I used to have the time of my life with and would be an awesome person to go out with to the cinema and what not. I've seen numerous times that people end up being good friends with their ex's and I know she really wants me to be her friend and wants me in her life too.

The strange thing is I feel I could just be friends with her now since I know what both of us want and I would just have to sacrifice the bf and gf side of things but obviously that's just my brain trying to trick me but I think in 3 or 4 months I should be able to talk to her again.
    Is it possible for us just to be friends?

Of course. The only reason you are having doubts is because your feelings for her are still fresh. It will all depends on what happens in your lives. You just need to give yourself some time to heal first for sure. For now keep busy, hang out with friends and stop worrying about the future so much. As they say Que sera sera, whatever will be will be......

Oh wow I didn't know people could still be friends with their ex, sweet! I bet the next partner really loves that!

Ya have to sugar coat these things sometimes......we all know most move on and forget about them eventually. Really there is no need to keep being friends.