+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I feel like an idiot for doing this....

I feel like an idiot for doing this....

Dear

I really need to write about this, because I feel so embarrassed now and wish I just kept my stupid mouth shut.

This is what happened. There’s a girl at my work that I think is sooooo incredibly cute and sexy.
    However, she doesn’t work in my team (it’s a big company) so I do see her when I walk by her desk near the hallway, but I never have a work-related reason to talk to her since we are in completely different teams and on top of that, she sits in the middle of a very crowded desk, with mainly women, which is way too intimidating for a shy guy like me to just step up to and have a “chat”. It would just be so obvious if I’d do that.
    So, I did a lame thing, but I couldn’t help myself! I set up an anonymous facebook account and sent her an email telling her I think she is something else and so on. I know, it sounds lame, it is lame….
    But, she did write back, asking who I was obviously. At first I just ignored that question and tried to talk to her some more…. We sent like 5/6 emails back and forth and chatted about work and so on.
    Then she went on vacation for a few weeks. So, I thought to myself, ok… let it go dude… She’s out of your league anyway.
    BUT, when she came back from her holidays she suddenly sent me a message again, asking if we were done talking? This surprised me, so I replied again.
    To make a long story short. Eventually last week (since she asked me who I was again and again) I decided to be brave, and revealed my identity to her.

…. As soon as I said who I was……nothing, nada. No reply. She has not replied the email since, and it’s been a week. In the past, she would write back in like a day or so. My conclusion? As soon as she found out who it was that was admiring her, she was disappointed I guess. Maybe she was hoping I was someone else… I knew I was out of her league.

So yeah, I know, it’s a long, and kinda lame story. But does anybody here have any advice on what to do next?? What would you do?
    I feel so ashamed….
    Every time I walk by her desk (and I have to, because it’s on the way in and out, so at least twice a day I have to walk by) I just walk as fast as possible and look away to avoid eye contact. It’s obvious she’s not interested in getting to know me…. But now she knows it was me!!!
    How do I play it “cool” from here?
    Because this is just downright embarrassing.
    Any replies are greatly appreciated!

just email her again and apologize for being too shy to flat out ask her out. tell her you dont want things to be awkward and you wont contact her again
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

oh, that is a tad awkward. Well, if I was you I would message the girl again saying "I gather from your lack of replies that your not interested in me in that way?" Maybe from this she will reply with her thoughts and you may feel better or at least know what the situation is between you both. Maybe you can simply be friends or just go back to being strangers and forget about the whole thing.

Thanks @Simpo &Michelle23

It is indeed very awkward, and I wish I just hadn't let myself be seduced to reveal who I was.
    Now I just feel sort of kicked in the nuts for doin that.... like: "oh... it was you... ok..... "

Damn it. Yeah maybe sending an email again, saying sorry that I didn't just talk to you in the first place and I won't be bothering you again, is a good idea.

On the other hand, won't I look like an even bigger loser if I do that? (if that is actually even possible...argghh)

When you told her who you were, she stopped talking because there was someone she was hoping it was... and it wasn't you. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    When you told her who you were, she stopped talking because there was someone she was hoping it was... and it wasn't you. Bummer.
    yeah it doesn't take rocket-science thinking to figure that one out...

Then what was your question? You're obviously not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Then what was your question? You're obviously not an option.
    I know that. If you'd read my topic you would have seen that I am merely asking for advice. Since I feel extremely awkward now around her...and it's pretty much impossible to completely avoid her since I have to walk by her desk every day.

What Simpo advised does seem like an option, but I'm afraid emailing once more will get me nowhere but ignored, again!! which would make me feel even worse...

I think it's cute what you did. Ok, maybe she isn't interested in you but she can't be upset with you. Flattered maybe.

Give yourself a bit of time and you'll feel better and someone else will get your attention and hopefully this time the feeling will be mutual.

Quote Originally Posted by valixy View Post
    I think it's cute what you did. Ok, maybe she isn't interested in you but she can't be upset with you. Flattered maybe.

Give yourself a bit of time and you'll feel better and someone else will get your attention and hopefully this time the feeling will be mutual.
    Ah, thanks! At least not everybody thinks I'm a complete idiot

Yeah, I think I'm just going to act a nonchalant as possible, and try not to show my embarrassment every time I see her. In fact, I'll just ignore her, like she did with me

You'll start to feel better about it, try not to worry and just act as casual as possible