+ Follow This Topic

Thread: guy i dated is giving my number to his friend? should i be offended?

guy i dated is giving my number to his friend? should i be offended?

Hi. I'm very confused and don't know what to do. I dated a guy for two months. Apparently he never thought of me as a girlfriend but we went on two dates and he did kiss me. I spent a lot of time with him during finals week in the library doing homework with him. Before Christmas he tells me we're just friends and nothing more. Today he calls and says he's giving my number to his friend.

okay, its nice meeting new people but isn't it weird that a guy I dated/kissed is giving my number to his friend? I don't know how to take this or what to do.

Why didn't you just tell him that you don't want him giving your number to strangers?

Its not unusual for people who have a friend they think will click with someone better and pass on a phone number. The thing is: Do you want to be passed on? Are you open to meeting this new boy? If you're not then don't answer any unknown numbers. If you are interested then, just talk to him and meet him if he seems interesting.

Go slow and only meet him in public places where your "hanging out" isn't going to lead to anything other then getting to know one another and see how well you fit as a couple.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Well, the thing is my friend didn't give me a chance to say no, he just gave me details on when he would text me or call or something. I am open to meeting other guys but I don't know if its weird that he's going to give my number to his friend when he dated me.

Why did this guy give up on you? And why do you think his friend would fare any better? People sure are interesting nowadays....

I honestly have no clue why he gave up. We were talking one night and out of the blue he told me that we were just friends, nothing more, and not to take him and I serious. Then two days later he calls again to talk like friends. I find that weird. Now he's giving my number to his friend. Maybe his friend is different with girls but I don't know anything about this guy, including how he looks like. I don't want to end up hurt again, that's for sure.

Because he met someone he found more attractive to pursue or there wasn't enough chemistry, oh well them the breaks. That's why we go out on dates...to get to know someone and see if feelings increase....this time it didn't happen, time to move on.

You should call up your friend and say Thanks but no thanks, and that you don't need any help meeting guys.....then go no contact after that.

Quote Originally Posted by confused93 View Post
    I honestly have no clue why he gave up. We were talking one night and out of the blue he told me that we were just friends, nothing more, and not to take him and I serious. Then two days later he calls again to talk like friends. I find that weird. Now he's giving my number to his friend. Maybe his friend is different with girls but I don't know anything about this guy, including how he looks like. I don't want to end up hurt again, that's for sure.
    He isn't wanting any kind of relationship with you and he thought maybe his friend would be a better match for you. If you don't want him to give the guy your number then text him and tell him that. Simple.

Maybe the friend seen you and liked what he saw and would like to take you out? You could text the first guy and find out more if you're intrigued or you could text the first guy and tell him to keep your number to himself.

What do YOU want to do?
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I think he is pawning off his friend onto you out of guilt....trying to compensate for misleading you thinking you two were in a relationship and things were going somewhere. He's a jackass, stop talking to him.

Well he's an asshole for not asking you but were talking some college kid here

Make sure to tell him very clearly that he is NOT allowed to give out your personal details or contact info to anyone else, before at least asking for your explicit permission. This is just a basic social norm.

Then, go no contact.