+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Talking about sex when in a relationship

Talking about sex when in a relationship

My boyfriend likes to talk to people about sex. I think being open about sex is actually very healthy because you can end up shedding a lot of light on things, getting different perspectives and it makes sex seem less taboo (I think it's unfortunate that it's still viewed that way sometimes). The thing is that he mostly has friends who are women, because he just tends to get along with women really well. And he likes to be really flirty sometimes too, and I'm worried about him giving the wrong idea. If I thought that my male friends wouldn't get the wrong idea if I talked to them about sex I think I would, but I'm afraid it's going to come off wrong (either they will think I'm being too forward, or that I sound perverted, or that I want to sleep with them, or something). I guess my question is what is considered normal when it comes to talking with the opposite sex, who are not your significant other, about sex? Do I need to worry about a line being crossed (or eventually being crossed), (either by myself or by my boyfriend) even if that wasn't the intention?

If you're not comfortable with him discussing your sex life with his other girlfriends, then tell him that.

^ This.

Not to mention, the flirty-ness would be a red flag for me...

blah blah blah EMOTIONAL AFFAIR blah blah.

I have been there. I used to talk a lot with my friends ( most of them are girls)..Until she said that she would do the same with her friends ( man)...It did not take much for me to realize that if I wanted to keep this relationship...I would need to discuss that just with her....and she is right...

I don't know if it's okay, I think it's not. I never talk about it with friends, if they ask me about it I just ignore them

Joe264s reply is a good one.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Id say you have a player on your hands that you cannot trust.

Red flags:
    1 lots of female friends
    2 flirting with them
    3 discussing sex

You must be v naive OP.. its fine to have a random conversation about sex with a group of people if it comes up but its not something most people talk about all the time and going into a lot of detail usually is crossing a line for most people
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

It all is about comfort levels and what you find acceptable or unacceptable. If he's not having an affair or cheating on you and just having conversations about sexuality, no big deal. If it is to flirting and suggesting sex, yes that is kind of not acceptable. It really depends on what you both agree too, and you both allow in the relationship.