+ Follow This Topic

Thread: HELP ME PLEASE! I am very conflicted!

HELP ME PLEASE! I am very conflicted!

I am only 17, and will be a senior in high school next year. Yes i know i am young, but this is a serious situation. I consider to have a bright future ahead of me. So i have a 4.0 GPA, have over 400 hours of volunteering, a bunch of leadership roles in school, 2200 SAT blah blah blah... I have always dreamed of going to West Point. If i should attend, then i would graduate as a second lieutenant in the US Army, with a plethora of opportunities to advance in my career. (I have always had the ultimate goal of becoming the first female Secretary of Defense! )

But then there is the love of my life. We have been together for years, but he is a marine (Currently deployed i Afghanistan.) He is going to go to the Naval Academy and become a Marine Officer after he returns from deployment. He would actually be attending the academy the same year i would be entering West Point. But everyone knows that there is a huge rivalry between Army and the Marines.... there's no way our relationship would work if i became an army officer and he a marine officer.

IF I follow my heart I would get married to him, and attend a civilian college, then I could live on a military base and be the wife of an officer (I would love to be a nurse on base, or maybe a psychologist!) But then I wouldn't be an officer myself. By the way, you can't get married at the Academy, so we wouldn't be actually getting married until we are about 23/24, but i need to know what i am going to do soon so i can decide which college to go to!
    I dont know what to do. I feel like there are two ropes pulling me in two directions and i just need advice!!!!
    (also, I have always wanted to be a mom of 3 kids. being a military wife would be great in that i could always be there for my family, something that would not be an option as an officer myself.)
    Thanks!

It doesn't matter which goal you choose, things will change anyways because you are only 17. You may find a different opportunity to work towards, new priorities, goals, etc and there is no guarantee that you to will be together in 7 years.

Sometimes people overthink things, then the pro's and con's come out. But they never ask themselves what will make them happy now. Although its good to be planning things in life, not everything will go accordingly what you have in your head. Coming from experience, smack is right...there is no guarantee in life. So take your opportunities as they come in and remember to ask yourself. what will make you happy.