+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I terrified the poor girl!!!

Currently: Flagstaff, AZ Planning to move to Johnson City TN soon

I terrified the poor girl!!!

Well, there was this woman I work with, who had been flirting with me for a while. Or at least I thought she was flirting. She would come up and talk to me whenever she saw me working, kid around with me. A couple of times she would sneak up behind me and poke me in the ribs. Things like that.

Well, today I finally got up the nerve to ask her out.

I walked up to her and asked her to a movie. She stood there for a second, and then asked "When?" I suggested a night and she said, "Sorry, gotta work that night. Two jobs." And before I could say anything else, she ran away.

The rest of the day at work, she wouldn't look at me or talk to me.

Unforunately, this is pretty much most womens normal reaction to me

I could see a "No, I don't think so" or something like that, but I think I actually scared her...

Just wondering why... I'm not the best looking guy in the world, but I don't think I'm hideous either. I try to be friendly to everyone. I'm just at a loss here...

Ah well, gotta run. Physics class awaits. Later.
    Lurch

Well its good you got up the nerve to try. Seemed like a good choice from the 'flirting' that seemed apparent.
    "Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, cause I get better loking each day. To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can." Mac Davis

Keep asking out girls! It builds character.

I've been rejected so many times that it doesn't phase me anymore (well it does a bit, but not nearly as much as back when I was in highschool)

Point is that you'll get a date, and you'll start getting more dates.

I intend to keep trying to get dates. Not easy for me though.

The number of girls I've asked out in my lifetime, I could count on my fingers...

Oh well, live and learn,
    Lurch

My boyfriend could never get up the nerve to ask a woman out when I first met him. I asked him out. He always said that he "really should" try asking people out. He lost out on the chance to get to know some people because he never tried. You are awesome to keep in the game. You have guts and seem nice. Don't loose faith in yourself.

No guts, no glory! Good job Lurch, hope it works out for you next time.

ADVICE: Next time a girl asks you for the day of the date, reply "Whenever you are free". That will give her room to manuever and for you to chase up on it from time to time.

When asking a girl out to the movies it's good to nail the subject on the head. I.e. start talking about her favourite films and work your way to finding out what she is DYING to see at the moment. When the movie is mentioned make a point of how you as well have been DYING to see that film for a very long time and thus due to your equal burning interest in the movie, you simply MUST see it together to fully appreciate this work of art.

Both of the above when combined will make it extremely uncomfortable for the girl to weasel out of a movie date because:

1. No time/date was specified, therefore she would have to pretend she is busy for a very long time to avoid the date (And you can casually chase up on it)
    2. She knows your interest and the fact that your plans are to see the film with her and not with anyone else (Due to similar interest)
    3. It will make it very awkward for her watching her favourite film without you knowing your interest in watching this film with her (I.e. she will think that you are not watching this film because you are waiting for her)

I find it's good to never seem too obvious in the very beginning. It's good to start everything off with a simple friendship (Well at least the first couple of dates).

Well, I really don't want to turn this into a science, but hope above is useful
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

If the girl think's you're interesting, or is attracted to you... it really doesn't matter what you say. She'll say Yes.

1 thing. DOn't make it a date. You asked her out on a date (you asked her to a movie) NExt time, when some girl from your work starts chatting you up, just say "Hey
    let's go get a coffee" Something very casual.

Then if she's receptive to you... laughing at your lame jokes etc.. ask her out.

Oh, and never say "whenever you are free". You're not going to bend your schedule around for her.

TUesdays, wednesdays, thursdays are good for first dates. Again, keep it casual.

I don't expect to get it "right", but I will keep trying

I guess I can consider it a success if they don't flee in horror
    Lurch