+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YOU settle the bill on first date. does it sound ok to you?

Illusional is offline different state of mind
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    ^^^^ she said that the guy pulled a restaurant change on her at the last minute. anyways, i've got no problem with spending A LOT of money on dinner, but that always included a lot of drinks.

raverboy
    ...this is just my perspective on the situation...

i dunno why this thread is on the ask a female forum...A male opinion would be more appropriate imho.

Though, the guy behaved like a perfect asshole, so move on.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    does it really matter onthis subject whether it's a man's or woman's perspective.

raverboy

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Are we talking $500 American money? Because Chinese food usually isn't all that expensive! I assumed we were talking foreign currency here. If we are talking American money, i would have been embarrassed toorder anything so expensive.
    sorry for confusion everyone. The currency is NOT US$ of course. If it's converted, it's around 65$ USD according to the prevailing exchange rate.

For the bill thing, he DID NOT move a bit but just WATCH before, during, and after my giving $200 to the waiter(but of course he couldn't see clearly how much I pay exactly so he must have thought I paid for his portion so he didn't even say ONE WORD!). After the waiting came back to our table, he waiter looked at him and showed him the money ($200) wasn't enough to cover the whole (which is around $500). So he gave the waiter $300 and I realized by then that the bill was actually $500 not $400 I thought after taking into account the tea for two people. So I pay my portion ($50 for MY tea) by giving him $100 (coz I got no $50 in my wallet) and he changed me $50. Is that okay for everyone now?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    That's around $440 American. I'm with raver = that's too much for Chinese...

Who chose the restaurant?
    HIM! without evening asking me in any form!

Quote Originally Posted by Loveramix View Post
    i dunno why this thread is on the ask a female forum...A male opinion would be more appropriate imho.

Though, the guy behaved like a perfect asshole, so move on.
    yeah...you're quite right and that's what I had thought before I created this thread. But I just thought there may be some other girls who had experience the same as me so would be great to hear some stories of others under the same situation

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    If he invited you, chose the restaurant, and the cost was equal to $65 American, then I am back to thinking he should have paid.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

yeah.. 35$ a plate sounds wayyyyy better then 250.. thats just rediculous. I don't know what is in your area, but if you have a 'china town' in your city, find someone who knows it well, they could probably suggest some great restaurants that are relatively inexpensive. I work walking distance from the chinese district in my city and for the same price you could eat at a dirty crap shoot or one of the best 'bang for your buck' restaurants in the city.

20$ a plate, tax/tip included. Excellent food and authentic as well, not a 'poser' chinese place.

As for the actual subject at hand.. Would you rather the guy pretends he is willing to pay (even though he very well may not and in his head he is hoping you will pick up your share?) or someone that is straight forward?

That aside, this guy does sound pretty mediocre.. your a professional, its 65$, assuming hes a half-decent professional (or even a VERY mediocre one), 65$ isn't a lot of money.
    Last edited by all alone; 16-02-10 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teresa_w View Post
    sorry for confusion everyone. The currency is NOT US$ of course. If it's converted, it's around 65$ USD according to the prevailing exchange rate.

For the bill thing, he DID NOT move a bit but just WATCH before, during, and after my giving $200 to the waiter(but of course he couldn't see clearly how much I pay exactly so he must have thought I paid for his portion so he didn't even say ONE WORD!). After the waiting came back to our table, he waiter looked at him and showed him the money ($200) wasn't enough to cover the whole (which is around $500). So he gave the waiter $300 and I realized by then that the bill was actually $500 not $400 I thought after taking into account the tea for two people. So I pay my portion ($50 for MY tea) by giving him $100 (coz I got no $50 in my wallet) and he changed me $50. Is that okay for everyone now?

HUH? All of these numbers are confusing me...

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    this is why guys are better at math..

raverboy

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Again, what is the problem Teresa? You paid your share. You want us to confirm for you this guy is a jerk? Don't you already know?

The only thing that should matter to you is you did the right thing and paid your share. You get to walk away from this transaction with your head high. Or is this about some insecurity that you weren't pretty/smart/interesting/etc enough for him to want to pay for you? Consider the possibility that a jerk is just a jerk and nothing beyond that.

I'm confused by the numbers. What worthless currency do you mean by "$"?

I don't understand why people show 'pretend' courtesy. "Oh no, I'll pay for it" (secretly hoping the other person will object) They sure do bite their tongue later, don't they?

Anyway, if you split the bill I don't see what the problem is. I am kind of shocked that you think he's a jerk? Women want to be equal, but still expect the man to pay the bill? That's a double standard.
    Last edited by doppelgaenger; 16-02-10 at 01:42 PM.

Charlie Boy II is offline Registered User
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    hang on, hang on, $500 Australian is NOT $US65 - - it's $US450!!

And where the f-ck is this ridiculous chinese place? In Sydney??
    Is it burnin'? Well, f-ck, now you're learnin'.

HA! This is turning out to be an insane thread....I don't think any of us really have a clue how much she ended up paying- or was supposed to pay for herself or how much her tea really WAS....do we??!

We want to be equal but to me on a first date it is REALLY important that the man takes charge of the bill.

Yes guys...call me old fashioned but a first date is a gift from you to your lady...otherwise it's 2 mates going out together.
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast