Thread: Things you've always wondered about, but never asked

DoesntMatter is offline Love Gurus
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalPhoenix View Post
    "Why don't you have a girlfriend"
    (at a wedding for instance) "Hey..you know you're next right"
    "Aren't you lonely?"

I don't mean that you're ACTUALLY obligated, but why do people assume you should "settle down". In my opinion single people are looked down on. Like they can't possibly be happy or live a normal life

This is not in my head...people have actually asked me these questions.
    Haha, well at least it's a bit of a compliment for them to wonder why you are single! One look at me and the disgusting beard, bed hair, yellow teeth and perpetually stained undershirt must make them keep those questions to themselves!

But I wouldn't interpret that as you being put under pressure (just because somebody asks). Maybe you feel the pressure from within because you know your time is running out to get a girl before you're 40 and by then will not be able to enjoy a woman in her youth

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPhoenix View Post
    This is not in my head...people have actually asked me these questions.
    That's true but you can choose to ignore it not to sit in your head to bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by oneandonly View Post
    hmmm I've never done this. When I invite a guy to meet my friends, we are already in a solid relationship. I don't seek an approval of my friends to date a guy or their convincing to carry on dating a guy. There is no test involved. I am just proud of introducing him as my bf to a group of my friends.
    If only every woman was like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    Haha, well at least it's a bit of a compliment for them to wonder why you are single! One look at me and the disgusting beard, bed hair, yellow teeth and perpetually stained undershirt must make them keep those questions to themselves!

But I wouldn't interpret that as you being put under pressure (just because somebody asks). Maybe you feel the pressure from within because you know your time is running out to get a girl before you're 40 and by then will not be able to enjoy a woman in her youth
    Not really...I'm good with being alone.
    I've got some strange views on certain things (not just love). So I guess people are just a little puzzeled about what I do..
    It just seems to me there is a certain expectation you're supposed to live up to

@oneandonly: It doesn't bother me that they ask. I'm just curious to know if there is such a thing as the standard way of living..

let's leave it at that...don't wanna make this MY topic

tnx anyway
    Can someone please explain what is so great about constantly being reminded of that which you cannot have?

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by DoesntMatter View Post
    your time is running out to get a girl before you're 40 and by then will not be able to enjoy a woman in her youth
    haha! Women before 40 are beautiful, but often psychotic and difficult to enjoy. It's all a trade-off.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Are these questions only to do with sex? B/c I have a whole bunch of other questions...
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Why do they perforate toilet paper squares so small? Nobody uses just one square.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Are these questions only to do with sex? B/c I have a whole bunch of other questions...
    No. Ask anything, but understand, no one may be able to answer your questions
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Why are squares shapes the standard for things like books and paper?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Rectangles are the standard shape. Because the human eye plays tricks with curved figures; it's the reason sculptures and paintings are usually curved, it provokes optic imagination. Straight lines are more easily digested and factualized by the brain. Try writing in a curved line and reading it at varying distances.

Also, rectangles are cheaper to produce.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gratedwasabi View Post
    Rectangles are the standard shape. Because the human eye plays tricks with curved figures; it's the reason sculptures and paintings are usually curved, it provokes optic imagination. Straight lines are more easily digested and factualized by the brain. Try writing in a curved line and reading it at varying distances.

Also, rectangles are cheaper to produce.
    So, taking this right back to basics (how things occur in nature), is this a stacking problem then?
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by doppelgaenger View Post
    Why do they perforate toilet paper squares so small? Nobody uses just one square.
    Because it reduces waste by having closer intervals - e.g you'd use, say, 4-6 small pieces instead of deciding between larger pieces who'd be the equivalents of either 5 or 10 pieces.

I bet publishers would try to stand out with intricate shapes if it was financially viable, but it's simple a matter of production and efficiency - e.g. not having to modify text heights and widths to fit particular edge shapes, rectangles allow for easy storage while maximizing content (stored along the thinner side, content uses the full expanse of the long side), and the whole ISO paper series allows for standardizing the sizes and make use of the same machinery to cut the sizes (e.g. at the archi print facilities we have plotters that have a standard width of paper, but can then slice that width into A2 and A1 sheets from the same roll).

Why do so many people believe in religions (in Coran, Bible or Talmud) when there is actually very little prood of the facts stated in these books...the same people would happily dismissed more likely facts such as an alien life, medecine, species evolution,...
    "Oh I could spend my life having this conversation. Look, please try to understand before one of us dies"

Quote Originally Posted by Yet another guy View Post
    It's just plain simpler to view the world as black and white rather than probabilistic shades of gray.

Quote Originally Posted by sookie6 View Post
    Why do so many people believe in religions (in Coran, Bible or Talmud) when there is actually very little prood of the facts stated in these books...the same people would happily dismissed more likely facts such as an alien life, medecine, species evolution,...
    because they find the idea of death frightening.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast