+ Follow This Topic

Thread: dating vs hanging out

dating vs hanging out

ok after reading some posts, i got quite confused with dating and hanging out. i mean is there a fine line between them? ive been dating this girl for some time now but im confused if weve really been "dating" or just hanging out...
    when we go out we talk about anything under the sun, eat dinner and watch a movie. we dont really hold hands or do anything that involves contact. but come to think of it, that isnt really different from hanging out either right??
    weve been going out for awhile now if that helps.

I believe dating is when your officially boyfriend/girlfriend. And hanging out is unofficial. Both can imply sexual contact.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I disagree with the previous post. Dating means there is mutual romantic interest, hanging out means you are simply buddies.

You need to ask this girl directly if she considers you two to be dating, and if you want to be exclusivce, you need to tell her so. Otherwise, there is nothing in the world keeping her from pursuing other romantic interests.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Dating implies that there will be money spent.
    Spammer Spanker

hmm i think im the only one she goes out with.. and we do like each other. but i really dont make any moves (ie holding hands, kiss, etc) on her which made me think twice if its a date hehe. ad we dont really talk about our status. you think i should bring it up??

thanks for the replies btw guys, really appreciate it.

Joe, sounds like you want your "hanging out" to develop into something more romantic. I say definitely make some moves. Start slow by trying to hold her hand. And when you take her out, mention that it's a date and see what she says. You really do have to start defining things at a certain point so that she knows what your motivations are.

Maybe she wants this, too and is just really shy?
    “Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist”--George Carlin

actually ive asked her about it once and i said that were dating and she was just like... "ok whatever". i feel kinda conscious holding her hands mainly cuz i have sweaty hands. *sob*

I think that hanging out is when you are friends with someone and dating is when you are in a relationship or meeting up and hoping to lead to a relationship.

Some people also just like to say hanging out instead of dating.

I say to my partner would you like to hang out and we are official.

In my opinion if its just you and her out together somewhere like out for dinner or a movie or coffee or something of that nature then its a date...If you guys are just in a mall shopping its not really a date..but it could be a way to get to know her a bit better by seeing the kinds of clothes and stuff she buys. but ya some how eventually try and bring it up again to her if you guys are dating. or even ask her friends what she says about you and stuff like that

Dating also implies that the one who is interested will steadily escalate intimacy. Try being more intimate, more hugging, try going for a kiss at the right moment, invite her to your place, those kinda things.
    Don't cry, don't regret and don't blame
    Weak find the whip, willing find freedom
    Towards the sun, carry your name
    In warm hands you are given
    Ask the wind for the way
    Uncertainty's gone, your path will unravel
    Accept all as it is and do not blame
    God or the Devil
    ~Born to Live - Mavrik~

You don't have to hold hands, etc to be consider dating. You need to flirt and show romantic interests though. Where do you want this to lead? Otherwise you will just be hanging out/dating forever.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe

well my only problem is that when i do something intimate, i might scare her off... she has this tough front which is kinda hard to connect through.

Quote Originally Posted by joecakes View Post
    well my only problem is that when i do something intimate, i might scare her off... she has this tough front which is kinda hard to connect through.
    I say just ask... in a friendly way of course... But prepare yourself, she could always say no.

Dating vS Hanging Out

There are quite two differnet things for those whoreally understand and are matured.You can hang out with an acquitance without the slightest interest in dating the fella.You may decide to look up someone and cheer himup or a kind of just keep him company without any attachment.See you guys soon

Quote Originally Posted by joecakes View Post
    Well it sounds like she isn't interested in you. What we've got here is a failure to communicate.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best. ~ Marilyn Monroe